Desensitizing To Things (like A Harness)

kcmetric

Chaplin is a confident all around awesome dog, unfortunately my mom sort of... scarred him when it comes to harnesses; she didn't mean to but she was really rough when putting them on him when he was really young, etc, and now he's "head shy" only when it comes to them.

However, Chaplin must wear a harness and I'm wondering how to get him to like putting it on. He runs away when I pull it out and cowers when I put it on. I give him treats as I put it on but he just drops low to the ground when the straps are hanging and doesn't walk normally until it's on fully and he adjusts to the weight...

How can I help him get over this?

blacknym

Experienced Member
Those are both great vids. I used the kiko pup one and deja is much better about her harness.

kcmetric

Thanks!
Yeah, the kikopup one is more helpful because it has a part that goes over the head. Chaplin is much better about his front clip which I just slip up from the legs.

kcmetric

Just two super short sessions and Chaplin is now allowing me to put it all the way on him! Or better yet, he's putting it all the way on him, himself so he can get the treats.

I wanna wait one more session before I start to close the straps though =)

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Great glad it is going well! You could also just bring it out right before putting out his food to give it even more positive association.