Debating My Next Dog Breed.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I have been thinking about getting a second dog. It probably wont be as soon as I would like but I am starting my research so that when the time comes I can prepare.
I am looking for an intelligent, food motivated versatile breed that can do just about anything. I tend to like a somewhat fluffy dog, at least soft to the touch.
My next dog I would like a more energetic dog. Not quite as much exuberance as a border collie but not a couch potato either. River is an amazing dog and exactly what I wanted for my first dog, but sometimes I am all ready to train and I can't get my dog off the couch. I would like to do TRICKS, Rally, Obedience, Agility (mostly for fun), Swimming, biking (if I get a large dog), Canine Freestyle, maybe some Tracking. I would also love a potential therapy dog. A dog that is great with people, other pets and is confident yet still very food motivated and willing to please. As I said a very versatile dog that can do just about anything. I would also prefer a dog that is not completely black or completely white just because they can be hard to photograph and I would like to have the option to do animal acting or modeling, what ever may come up.

Here is my possible next breed list.
Golden Retriever (I know I can find one with more energy and you can do just about anything with them.)
Papillon (I've heard very good things about their personalities and had another trainer/friend who specifically recommended that breed for me.
Standard Poodle (I have worked with several and they are very versatile, intelligent and from the right line and upbringing very food motivated.)
Miniature Poodle (Smaller, but they have some really good qualities and I admire the really well trained ones, they tend to have really good focus)
Brittany (I worked with one in private lessons and she was one of the best dogs I had the pleasure of working with. Extremely food motivated, intelligent and willing. I haven't met a lot of dogs from this breed so I would want to research them a bit more, but from what I can see very nice breed.)
Shetland sheepdog ( I know they have a tendency to be shy when not properly socialized, but they also are very smart and very good trick dogs.)
Saluki ( I know they were bred to chase and some people say they can't really be trusted, but these guys fascinate me. I will have to meet a few first before I make my decision and from what I have seen they may be impossible to find anyway.)
Miniature Australian Shepherd (Huge debate. I have met some very nice ones, although they might be impossible to find I haven't really looked at that yet.) Definitely a breed that will need tons of socializing too.)
Collie (There are a lot of nice collies in my area. They definitely meet my criteria of what I am looking for.)

Any breeds I missed that you think I should consider? Advice/Suggestions/Considerations?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Apparently, there is a growing popularity for hybrid golden retriever/border collies. I think this would be the perfect dog for you, based on your list of desired characteristics. I believe Brody is one of these, but he was bred carelessly, and not properly socialized. But he does show many of the positive qualities you listed. I think they go by the name Golden Border Retrievers. Otherwise, an English Shepherd is a very close match as well. My niece in Saskatchewan has just adopted one from a wonderful breeder in Ontario called Farm's Pride.

running_dog

Honored Member
I would count Saluki out of the mix. I love them, would like to get one eventually, but they are not the kind of dog you describe yourself as wanting. It's not just that they would be on the couch potato side, apart from that saluki's are unusual dogs, they are just... different.

I'm biased towards miniature and standard poodles, especially the miniatures - and they could be a good match if from the right bloodline and with the right temperament.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I would count Saluki out of the mix. I love them, would like to get one eventually, but they are not the kind of dog you describe yourself as wanting. It's not just that they would be on the couch potato side, apart from that saluki's are unusual dogs, they are just... different.

I'm biased towards miniature and standard poodles, especially the miniatures - and they could be a good match if from the right bloodline and with the right temperament.
It is funny that Sulukis are couch potatoes if they are extremely fast and bred to chase. Someday I would love to meet some. Miniature poodles may end up being my breed of choice, still debating!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
It is funny that Sulukis are couch potatoes if they are extremely fast and bred to chase. Someday I would love to meet some. Miniature poodles may end up being my breed of choice, still debating!
That seems to be a common trait of the racing breeds. Greyhounds are also like that.

running_dog

Honored Member
It is funny that Sulukis are couch potatoes if they are extremely fast and bred to chase. Someday I would love to meet some.
I've met quite a few saluki crosses, the 1/4 saluki crosses are popular for hunting because they have reputation for being easier to train than the pure bred or 5o% salukis. In general salukis are not so much couch potatoes as the greyhounds because greyhounds (and most other sighthounds) are like cheetahs, they sprint (often many many times in one night though) and they sleep. In contrast salukis course for miles rather than metres so they need a lot of running or they will go stir crazy but that doesn't mean they'll leap off the couch to go train just because you feel like it. Maybe couch potato is the wrong word. Zac is a lurcher, he's ready to leave the house with me ANY time of the day or night, but get off the couch just to do some training on a whim of mine? Not likely :rolleyes:.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Thinking about getting Chewie a playmate... Any suggestions for a quite, gentle, calm personality dog to zen out my little horror?
I don't know about specific breeds, but you might consider adopting an older, perhaps even a senior dog from a shelter. With younger dogs, they can be more likely to copy the behaviors of each other, so you might get a young dog that you hope will calm Chewie, but end up with a dog that Chewie has gotten revved up. Our previous dog was 7 when we got her, so she was in the second half of her life. She was pretty calm, but still very playful and excited about going for walks and meeting new people.

elissa

I'm moving to Spain in June and, unfortunately, Mediterranean countries are not that great at animal shelters, unwanted dogs are usually dumped on to the streets (like Chewie was) and if they aren't taken in by somebody, they usually become feral and live out their lives on the streets in packs.

But I'm moving to Madrid, so hopefully the capital will have a better program in place! Obviously the only other problem with adopting an older dog is that it will be used to commands in Spanish.. Currently my Spanish runs to "hello", "goodbye" and "a glass of wine, thanks"!

I'll be visiting home (London) for Christmas, perhaps I could look in to getting an older dog from a shelter there and giving it its retirement in the Med!

running_dog

Honored Member
But I'm moving to Madrid, so hopefully the capital will have a better program in place! Obviously the only other problem with adopting an older dog is that it will be used to commands in Spanish.. Currently my Spanish runs to "hello", "goodbye" and "a glass of wine, thanks"!

I'll be visiting home (London) for Christmas, perhaps I could look in to getting an older dog from a shelter there and giving it its retirement in the Med!

Good to know you've got the essentials in Spanish :LOL:

It isn't that hard to retrain commands, after all the dog doesn't know it speaks Spanish/Italian/English all it knows is that when it hears a particular sound it is a good idea to behave in a particular way. I definitely think that getting an older dog is a good idea, there is no guarantee what character any puppy will grow up to have and if you want quiet and calm the best way is to go and find an adult dog that is quiet and calm - but that can cope with Chewie pestering the life out of it!