constant paw damage

tanis60617

Experienced Member
Hey guys, It's been a while since i have been online but i have a question. Do any of you have problems with damage occuring to paw pads. My Border Collie, Paisley, is constantly tearing his pads. Primarily the one up on his leg not really the ones on his feet. We play frisbee and just started agility, but i know it isn't from any of the agility obstacles, I really think its just from when he is free and playing and when he runs he makes these ridiculously sharp turns on a dime and goes the opposite direction. Sometimes he's going so fast he actually slides on the grass, and loses his traction but never stops pumping those legs.
I have had him for over a year so i understand that BC's are very active and often incur injuries from the wild playing but I'm starting to run out of bandages to put around his leg.
I said something to the vet and they said clean it out and neosporin. Any preventitive ideas that don't stop him from playing

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
YES! I too have this problem. Look into paw conditioners or protectors. These are sold as waxes, gels, or liquids. Many hunting/fishing stores may have them as most retrieving dogs need them(they spend lots of time in the water and on rough terrain). If you do not have one of these near you, your local Petsmart or PetCo should carry the waxes, if not anything else. You can apply these regularly or just as needed. They will help protect the paw pads from injury. Any Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, or Cabelas will carry these products, or any other kind of hunting equipment store.
If you'd like, you can buy boots for a little extra protection until the product starts really working. Of course, this will not immediately make his paw pads injury-proof, so the boots are good to protect them until his pads heal and get stronger.

tanis60617

Experienced Member
thanks I hadn't thought of waxes or anything like that. I will go this week and pick some up and give it a try. When he is playing he has no concept of injury he just wants that frisbee and if anything is in his way then it will move or he will move it.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol. ^^ I understand. If he really gets obsessive or overactive in an unhealthy way, channel his energy elsewhere. You can try training to use his mind and body--of course, since he is wanting to go, go, go, you will need to train an active trick. (Jumping through hoops, weaving through your legs, jumping over your legs, spins, etc--inside if at all possible so that he can use that energy.) This way, he can still enjoy himself but also not hurt himself.
However, if his love of frisbee is not unhealthy or obsessive, then don't worry about it. Just condition those paw pads! :dogsmile:

snooks

Experienced Member
u sure this couldn't be braking down the back side of the aframe or nearing a contact?? that's where i had problems. boots might be needed if the gels don't work but watch for overheating since paws are part of the heat dissipating system