CM's Daily Poll: Crates

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Crates. Some think they are the most important thing in raising a dog from puppy-hood and beyond. Others think they are cruel containment devices. Which side of the fence do you sit on?

Me, I think they are okay for containing a dog when you are out, and to help teach the dog not to follow you around everywhere you go in the early days.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I used to crate my dogs a lot when they were puppies, especially since I can't supervise them when I leave, so crating them is the best option. But now that they've learned all the household rules, I can let them freely in the house, but I will still crate them if there is a need.

bipa

Crates are great for dogs of any age. I won't drive with loose dogs in the car because I'm afraid they'll get badly hurt if I have to emergency brake. Remember that I'm in Germany, so at times I might be going over 180 km/hr on the Autobahn. (and still being passed!)

I leave the crates open when I'm home, and the dogs often go in by themselves for a nap or just to relax. Since they're both still fairly young, I crate them if I'm going out for longer than 10 minutes. That way I know the dogs aren't getting into anything they shouldn't and maybe getting injured, and my house doesn't get destroyed. It's a win-win situation!

Cheers!
Vera

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
180 km/hr ? Lol that's crazy! They just passed a law here in ontario where they suspend your license and impound your car if you go 50 km/hr over the speed limit, which would be 150 km/hr on the highway.

bipa

First a friendly warning: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! <g>

Okay, now that's taken care of, I'm going a little off topic but what the heck. Here in Germany, the highways do have stretches where the limit is 120 or even 100 at times. Fines are very stiff, and your licence can actually be suspended for a while just for going 20km over the posted limit. There's also photo radar all over the place, some of it permanent and some hidden ones they move around. So most folks are pretty good about obeying speed limits around here. But then there are the fun parts of the Autobahn (highway) where there really is no speed limit at all. You can go as fast your driving skills and your car allows - as long as you don't end up stuck in a traffic jam due to construction. At that point I could get out and walk my dogs faster than traffic is moving <LOL>

As for crates, some of my friends are really jealous that I've got three here. Sometimes they'd love to stick their kids in one for a while, but that's illegal in most places. <BG/jk>