Cirkeltraining - Something Different

Mutt

Experienced Member
So I saw this video a while ago and thought it looked fun to do with your dog.
So I thought I would share it with you guys :).
I have done a very small attempt with Boef and am planning on doing a better one in the weekend and when I finally have vacation. I think I will start with just a vertical line to introduce the distance work to her.

(As it isn't really a trick I thought it suits this section best)

Anneke

Honored Member
I haven't done it myself(yet), but I would love to! It looks like fun!
I have seen a few of vids and I think they start out walking on the inside of the circle, with the dog on the outside. Just walking next to the dog in the big circle and then slowly increase the distance until you are able to stand in the middle and send the dog in the direction you want.

Mutt

Experienced Member
I haven't done it myself(yet), but I would love to! It looks like fun!
I have seen a few of vids and I think they start out walking on the inside of the circle, with the dog on the outside. Just walking next to the dog in the big circle and then slowly increase the distance until you are able to stand in the middle and send the dog in the direction you want.
Thats what I got from the other vids indeed.

Golden River of Dreams

Experienced Member
Is this an agility exercise, for another sport or just for fun? I mean it does look like fun, but I was wondering if their is another dog sport I didn't know about.

Caiti

Experienced Member
This looks like a lot of fun! Could be a great exercise for agility, as it teaches the dog to respond to body movements and preform while a distance away from the owner. Thanks for posting! I'll have to try this. (y)

freedomdreams

That's awesome ! Definitely a good way to condition a dog to listen and pay attention to your body language. This would probably be a good exercise for people who herd just because of that.
What is this called in English ? :)

Mutt

Experienced Member
If only found Dutch/german training videos (though it explain itself I guess, so you wouldn't need to understand it).
I guess it is just Cirkeltraining, but like I said it is not an official sport or anything but more a fun routing/exercise :).

running_dog

Honored Member
I hadn't seen this on here. I wanted to teach it though and found this video of something that seems similar, had an idea of posting it as a trick challenge some time.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
This looks like a lot of fun! I think I'm going to try this... Ill record our first session, just in case you decide to make it a trick challenge... :) I'm hoping that it could help us with herding, when we are doing circles in herding she tends to come in really close, maybe this could teach her to stay out..

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
This looks like a lot of fun! I think I'm going to try this... Ill record our first session, just in case you decide to make it a trick challenge... :) I'm hoping that it could help us with herding, when we are doing circles in herding she tends to come in really close, maybe this could teach her to stay out..
When I initially noticed this post I thought of when I was teaching a young BC to herd and how it would of helped teach distance without putting her out to ducks/sheep in the initial stages of training too! I am sure this could help with herding. Obviously now I just want to teach Ripley it for fun and brainwork but I totally see your point with the herding having done it in the past and not known at the time of a method such as this.... (I am going back about 15 years since I taught herding to a dog...!)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I tried this for the first time today with Chloe, and she understood what I wanted her to do pretty quickly. :) I think it's probably because we do agility and she has gotten pretty good at reading my body language. Once I put the chairs farther apart she gets a little confused, but we will just have to spread out the chairs very gradually. Have any of you tried this yet?