Can My Dog Be Jealous Of Her Puppies ?

alcastive

Hello everyone,

Everytime i want to play with Sasha's puppies she comes and try to remove my hands first i thought that she was protecting them but then I noticed that she let me play with them a little then she interferes, and put my hand on her to caress her and play with her as usual.

I have 6 puppies 4 weeks old each, when i try to feed them she's making that barking aware sound while eating and don't let them eat, so i bought another dog bowl and separate some when eating.

The question is can Sasha be jealous because i am playing with them ? or she doesn't want me to play with them ? i don;t really understand.

Anneke

Honored Member
It could be that she is trying to controle the amount of time you spent with them. I would keep her out of you litterbox, when you play with the pups, then give her some extra time alone with you.
As for the feeding, most breeders I know do this, they keep mum outside the box, feed the pups, then let mum back in to clean up after the pups.
I can't tell you why she is doing these things, but I would keep it safe, for her, you and the pups.
Is this her first litter? If so, she is new to this and she has to learn how everything works. Sometimes new mums need a little help finding a way that will make her(and you) feel comfortable.

alcastive

Thank you Anneke for the information, good idea about feeding them. Sasha is a new mum they are her first litter.

Today i tried to play with them while she was sitting and watching carefully then i turned to her and started to give her attention and play with her too she was very happy! like she was waiting for me to do that :)