Can Dogs Have All Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter?

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Hey! I was wondering if dogs can have all natural crunchy peanut butter?

A dog treat recipe that I am in the middle of making calls for it.

Any insight on this would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!!

MissyBC

Experienced Member
yes I give it to my dog once in a while. its the same ingredients as regular peanut butter except the chunks of peanuts
The chunks of peanut butter is what I was concerned about... if dogs are allowed to have peanut bits, not the actual peanut butter. :)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Any good peanut butter is just that - 'butter' made from peanuts (without anything else added). Crunchy peanut butter should be just fine. No difference from dogs eating blended up peanuts (peanut butter) or bits of peanuts (crunchy peanut butter). :D

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Sure! :) Here it is:

Super Simple Peanut Dog Treats

Natural peanut butter does not contain hydrogenated oil or sugar so it makes a more healthful treat for your pup.

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup chunky natural peanut butter
1 cup non fat milk (changed this to water, as dogs are lactose intolerant)

Instructions
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Grease cookie sheets.

In large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Use another bowl and combine the peanut butter and milk.

Add the milk and peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.

On floured surface, turn out the knead. Roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut out using cookie cutters.

Place on baking sheets and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Place on racks to cool then store in airtight containers.

Storing Dog Treats
In general you should store dog treats the same way you would homemade people cookies. That being said, there are two main variables that determine storage time - the amount and type of fat in the recipe and your local weather conditions. If your recipe uses fats such as butter, or meat bits or juices then it will be more prone to rancidity than a recipe that uses some vegetable oil or shortening. Your treats may mold or spoil much faster in humid or very hot climates.

Refrigeration and Freezing - Refrigeration will prolong the life of more fragile dog treats. Make sure to store in a tightly sealed container or zip lock bag. You can also freeze most treats in zip lock freezer bags. Allow to thaw completely before use.

Link to recipe is here:
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Recipes/Dog-Treat-Recipes-680/Super-Simple-Chunky-Peanut--Dog-Treats-356.aspx#

threenorns

hmmm... dogs are lactose intolerant only to a degree - they're far more intolerant of gluten and they're sensitive to sodium (can be hard on the kidneys).

i would (just personally speaking) switch the wheat flour for oat flour and i'd use egg instead of baking soda. might not be aesthetically pleasing but it'll be more nutritious and the dog doesn't care what it looks like, lol.

MissyBC

Experienced Member
hmmm... dogs are lactose intolerant only to a degree - they're far more intolerant of gluten and they're sensitive to sodium (can be hard on the kidneys).

i would (just personally speaking) switch the wheat flour for oat flour and i'd use egg instead of baking soda. might not be aesthetically pleasing but it'll be more nutritious and the dog doesn't care what it looks like, lol.
I was planning to switch the wheat flour with oat flour... it's just that's all I had in the house at the time. ;)