Breakthrough With "look At Me"

MaryK

Honored Member
Something weird is happening on this computer! Sorry I tried to reply to your post Kassidy, got a pop up message did I want to reply, hit yes and then it just posted before I had a chance to type a reply:confused:

I agree, I do wish people would educate their children, it really is so frustrating! And those same two kids then said, when Blossom got lose because my partner accidently caught the catch on her leash "Oh she bites" - honestly I was so mad and snapped NO SHE DOESN'T!!!!!!! Truly both the mother and father seem to think their kids hassling dogs is just too funny for words!:mad:

MaryK

Honored Member
I think the chasing cars thing is often herding or hunting related.

Sounds like you were quite restrained under the circumstances.

There was a boy in the street who pretended to be afraid of Zac (who was standing quietly, held on a very short loose leash, with me between him and the crowd of children who were completely blocking our path). Then this foolish youngster ran past on the narrow pavement screaming in a silly way. I rarely shout but I did shout at him! I told him that he would get bitten and would deserve it if he went on behaving like that. I still can't believe he was so stupid, he wasn't really scared, I know children who are really scared, they don't behave like that. Zac is dead calm in that sort of situation but many dogs would have lunged after him under the circumstances.

I hope your neighbours kids learn better ways soon. If you could face having anything to do with them maybe you could get them to give Blossom treats, that might give them an opportunity to learn better ways and perhaps some liking and empathy?
Wow!! this reply went through thank goodness!

Oh boy, I had the same thing happen with a kid when I had Rakins. And the mother was present, again thought it was funny. Fortunately for all concerned the kid didn't run past yelling, not sure how Rakins would have reacted to that - probably lunged at the kid.

I too would have yelled at that, honestly to run past a dog screaming is just about as stupid as you can get! Zac amazing to stay dead calm under such a trying circumstances. Leaf is actually scared of children, even the few sensible ones. Blossom's fine with the gentle ones and so far, fingers crossed, has ignored the stupid ones.

Not sure I'm up to that RD but it is a good idea. But they're that dumb I doubt they would want to try to feed Blossom, who would be more than willing to take treats from them. I'll see how things progress.

MaryK

Honored Member
Blossom is still trying to chase cars, bikes, anything with wheels. I agree RD it's a herding thing. My partner is actually helping out and .....DRUM ROLL..... listening to me (that's a first) as Blossom really can pull hard.

Am thinking of getting her a harness rather than using the soft collar, as I am concerned about her neck and damage that her pulling after cars may do.

She is improving, as you said earlier RD, it's a matter of keep chipping away and working with her. But I wouldn't trust her for a nano second off lead around cars!!!!!!!!!!!

running_dog

Honored Member
Oh boy, I had the same thing happen with a kid when I had Rakins. And the mother was present, again thought it was funny. Fortunately for all concerned the kid didn't run past yelling, not sure how Rakins would have reacted to that - probably lunged at the kid.
Once some teens cycled past my mum and Gus and started yelling, Gus lunged, Mum squirted him with water - I don't use that but it is better than being dragged over and better than yanking but anyway - Mum missed Gus and soaked the teenager instead. He actually said it was his fault for yelling... my Mum has that effect on people!

Am thinking of getting her a harness rather than using the soft collar, as I am concerned about her neck and damage that her pulling after cars may do.
Good thinking.

But I wouldn't trust her for a nano second off lead around cars!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course not, not yet. But you will be able to one day.