Bang And On Your Side

CrisM

I've never trained Valentine to lay on her side and I'd like to teach her Bang. I think training her On Your Side and Straighten Up would be nice to have, but I'm wondering if teaching them right before Bang would be confusing to her. Since bang happens from a stand or sit, and On Your Side happens from a laying position, I'm hoping that there's enough of a distinction that it wont confuse her.

Or maybe I could train her a rock solid On Your Side make sure she is steady as can be in it, move on to other tricks, and then come back to Bang later.

Have you taught your dog both of these commands or just went straight for Bang? Am I making much ado about nothing?

Thanks.

sara

Staff member
Well, I hadn't taught Ollie to lay on his side, I used his roll over (hand signal only as a cue, I didn't use the verbal cue at all) and clicked when he was halfway, he learned to stop rolling halfway through, but then I had to go back and teach the roll over again once his bang cue was taught and solid. he's not confused now, but it did take a bit to get his roll over back. Ollie does the bang with a flourish from a stand too... it's adorable! He put's his head and shoulders down with his butt in the air, then hesitates a second or two, then flops his butt over :)

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Good work on the handstand trick Chris!!

That's a really impressive and flashy trick!!

Veronica could NEVER do that!! She totally does not have the coordination, despite our doing some work on back end awareness; she'd kill herself!! :rolleyes:

Dogster

Honored Member
The handstand trick is AWESOME!!!!!!:D Great work!!!! Shivon would never be able to do that. Valentine has excellent rear-end awareness!!!:)

I taught Shivon to lay on her side for play dead. I taught her the same way as Jazzy taught Veronica. now I'm teaching her to roll on her back when I say "bang!" She's getting confused in between thaty and roll over but we're working on it.:) I saw this awesome video a couple of months ago on how to teach this trick:

CrisM

That is a wonderful video. Thanks bunches for sharing that! I will definitely be using it.

Oh, and thanks for the sweet comments on the handstand trick. We have a long way to go, but she is such a smart girl that she makes training a joy!

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you for sharing the Bang video, very clear, I'm having a few problems with this trick but I can see now how to train it correctly:)(y)

Love Valentine's Walking Handstand, really impressive!!!!!!!!!:love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Zsu-Zsu is just too cute:love: LOL she's obviously watched movies and knows the person rolls around a lot before 'dieing':LOL: