Australian Shepherds?

Caiti

Experienced Member
Hey :)

In June, my family and I will be wecoming an Australian Shepherd into our home! I'm very excited. We've all done a lot of research, and my family is very experienced with dogs. We know what we are in for, and I am 100% positive we will be able to meet the physical ad mental stimulation requirments of this breed.

So, do any of you Aussie owners have any tips you would like to share? :D

Thank you!

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
My biggest advice, socialize as much as possible. I know it's easier with puppies, but even if you get an adult, Socialize everyday to every possible thing. I got my aussie, Remington, at weeks. He has a fear of men that stand still and don't talk to him. They scare the life out of him. I just recently rescued a female aussie, sadly she was over the important socializing period. She is afraid of everything, and everyone outside of our house, and yard. But with time she's getting better.

I know with aussie's their just a naturally shy breed. So my advice is even on your daily walks/runs try and find something out of the normal for your aussie to see. I know it's kinda common sense, but that's just from my experience I regret not showing Remi the oddest things I could before they showed up somewhere I needed him to be well behaved.

Congrats on getting an aussie! They are by far one of the best dogs I've owned, and you're going to have a lot of fun! Be prepared once you get one, you're going to want another one! :p

Caiti

Experienced Member
Thank you. We are totally prepared to socialize the puppy, we've got a list of friends and family willing to come meet her when we get her and a whole list of friendly dogs for her to meet. We've also been looking into those CDs that play different noises to desensitize the puppy, have you tried any of those and did they work? :)

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Thank you. We are totally prepared to socialize the puppy, we've got a list of friends and family willing to come meet her when we get her and a whole list of friendly dogs for her to meet. We've also been looking into those CDs that play different noises to desensitize the puppy, have you tried any of those and did they work? :)
I didn't use the CD's but I made sure to bang pots and pans, drop stuff, ring the door bell, and slam the doors. Nashville, our new aussie pup, was stuck in a laundry room and outside so she didn't know how to live in the house. But she is terrified of any cleaning product, sprays, brooms, mops, vacuums. We have gotten her to be okay with slamming and dropping stuff, as well as any loud sudden noises. We just dropped stuff and left it on the floor for her to investigation. I have considered the CD's but she seems to be doing okay with me making as much noise as possible.She probably thinks I'm crazy though. lol

It's good that you have people to come over. Try to get as many kids as possible to come over. Nash is scared to death of certain kids (I help run an in home daycare) She know which are the louder kids and she will growl and lung at them. But she's never bite them, but she loves the quiet kids, she'll go right up to them.

I've talked with a few aussie owners, some have had the same problem with theirs. They socialized will with adults, and teens, but forgot about the tiny, very loud children. And those that say they introduce them to children, and let the children be themselves (loud) have an almost "bomb proof" dog.

We take Nash to the local park in the evenings, and let her watch people from afar, especially children on the play ground. She gets treats for being calm, and not growling. (She's still can't deal with strangers walking (closely) past her) We held her until she got all her shots, and now she is allowed to walk on her own. So another piece of advice is let her meet as many loud and annoying kids she can. Of course not loud in her face, just in the general area around her, so she won't think anything of children later in life.

If I think of anything else, that isn't the common puppy stuff, I'll let you know. :)

Caiti

Experienced Member
Thank you for being so helpful!

I am thinking of purchasing a few of them, because my cousin who owns an Aussie mix used them and they worked. Her dog was terrified of everything, especially loud noises and now she is bomb proof. I will make lots of noises though. :)

Yep, we have no shortage of people willing to come meet a puppy. :p The youngest child I have access to is 8, but I do have a playground just down the street. I suppose we could walk down there, the little kids there already know and love Wylie.

Thank you! :D

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
Thank you for being so helpful!

I am thinking of purchasing a few of them, because my cousin who owns an Aussie mix used them and they worked. Her dog was terrified of everything, especially loud noises and now she is bomb proof. I will make lots of noises though. :)

Yep, we have no shortage of people willing to come meet a puppy. :p The youngest child I have access to is 8, but I do have a playground just down the street. I suppose we could walk down there, the little kids there already know and love Wylie.

Thank you! :D
You're lucky, I don't have many people to meet our pup. I might have to look into the CD's and see if they might help Nashville. :)

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Congrats!!!! Well just like Mr Remmington said, socialize. With everything.:) Noises, parks, people and go to puppy training classes. Remember australine sheperds are a herding breed so you will have to reward for calmness. :) Are you planing on doing agility or frisbee?

Honored Member
I also found the child socialization the hardest with Holly.

I don't really know any young kids and I thought it would be a bit creepy to hang out where there are kids asking them to interact with my puppy :LOL:

Luckily Holly seems to be fine with the kids she has met so far as an adult at the park. The only one she objected to was a young baby in a baby carrier thing, she growled at it a bit but it wasn't really an aggressive growl, it was more of a "what is that?!" growl, she has so far been fine with toddlers (baby's that can walk but not very well - I have no idea what age they are) and will let them pat her.
I think because she was socialized to so many other things and is generally very confident it meant that she just accepts most new things even if she never experienced them as a pup.

barnhill

Experienced Member
Congrats on your new puppy! Give her a job, start learning Disc or Agility something that will giver her a job, doesnt matter what. I love my Aussie Bokeh. He has some quirks like most do, but he is the sweetest guy ever. Enjoy!

Caiti

Experienced Member
Luckily for me, my regular walk route passes through a park and playground, so Wylie gets to meet little kids and kids coming home from school ( my school lets out earlier than my local elementary public school) and past a dog park so Wylie gets to meet a few dogs before it gets too busy, because he tends to get over whelmed if there are more than four dogs. So, Matrix will recieve plenty of socialization, after she's received her shots of course.

She will have a job. I hope to do Agility and Flyball, as well as Rally-o, Canine Freestyle and Treiball, whatever she likes really. Maybe even disc, but I can't throw a frisbee for my life!

Dogster

Honored Member
Congratulations!!!:) You will have so much fun with your new puppy!!! I agree with the advice given above:D
Good luck!!:D

lazer nart

I'm so lucky that my best friends dog had a litter of (6) puppies (Labradoodle x Old English Sheepdog) So my puppy will have lots of socializing one i get her. (Unless they have gone to their new homes :unsure:)