Anyone want to share?

sammy1

What''s the hardest trick or behavior you have trained and how did you get through the hardest part of it. Just curious:)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Playing chess was the hardest for me (or the longest)

The hardest part was to get my dog to not be afraid of the moving/falling peons on the board since it is a marble game set.

storm22

Experienced Member
not really a trick but more a behaviour thing is storms fear aggression

im still working through it (mostly hes good but he can have off days) i ask heaps of question and try things and stick to whats working at the time

sammy1

Fear-based aggression is a tough one to solve. Have you read "click to calm" by emma parsons? It's a great book on the subject.

E

emmasmamma

Jean;6200 said:
Playing chess was the hardest for me (or the longest)

The hardest part was to get my dog to not be afraid of the moving/falling peons on the board since it is a marble game set.
I want to see this on video! Who wins? You or the dog? Or do they play each other?:msngiggle:

As to the question at hand, it would have to be play biting. We are still working it. As far as tricks, it would have to be the shy that we are working on now. It is taking longer than any trick before. The play biting thing is part of the problem.

zcoonhound

Ours was Take a Bow because Z wanted to get in the full down position. I had to be real quick with the click/treat and the signal turned out to be MY bow that she picked up on while I was setting her up. Funny...now that is the cue to Take Her Bow!

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I think the hardest trick for me was the bow. She just didn't want to do it for more than 2 months, then somehow it turned out to be her favuorite trick. :)

nereis

Limp, very frustrating. It was just a case of repeat over and over.

Backwards figure of 8 was also difficult, I did that by breaking it down completely, trained going round my left side and then my right backwards, then through my legs, then joined it up.

heidib860

:msniwonder:patience for me, (not Max) in order to deal with the puppy Stage. How I've been dealing with it is knowing that one day he'll be grown up and I'll miss this stage. (A LONG time from now.):msniwonder:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
emmasmamma;6280 said:
I want to see this on video! Who wins? You or the dog? Or do they play each other?:msngiggle:

As to the question at hand, it would have to be play biting. We are still working it. As far as tricks, it would have to be the shy that we are working on now. It is taking longer than any trick before. The play biting thing is part of the problem.
HeHeHe She only takes a peon and puts it in a little box beside the chess board. I haven't practiced in a few months tho. I think I should write a lesson for it! This would be a level 6 dog trick.

dyzney

One of my Rott bitches took 4 years to learn to speak on command. I had nothing to work with as she is such a silent dog. She never barks neither from excitement, protection nor warning. It was the longest of teaching any dog this trick I have ever experienced. But now she does it beautifully. It seems her big voice sort of even gives her a bit of a fright. She is a smart, but reasonably soft girl. She also says "mum". That was a fun and easy trick to teach as she talks a lot.

cleverdogs

Mine might have been hug.

I'd not seen videos of anyone else doing it so had no clues for how to train it and got lots of paws in my face.

The first couple of training sessions were a muddle but after that it all came together quickly.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
The othwer very hard trick for me (and Pami) was the handstand....
First, she had to put back paws on a piece of paper, like a target. Then I put one book under the paper. Than two, and so on...
Now she can do it without anything under her legs, she kicks up her back completely alone! :D

ruffmuttk9z

I taught this to Tank from the time he was a tiny puppy but it took him a while to develop the muscle memory to stay up there very long. Here is the progression via videos:

alee

I have a couple to add:

1.) When my rex was a puppy he was very inteligent, I hadn't planned on teaching him much(everyone told me that huskies were very stuborn) but the 2 most important things sit and stay. And after he learnt those things, we stopped training, then one day I went to pet him and he put his arm on my hand, which gave me the start of teaching him shake a paw. After I taught him these 3 tricks/commands and saw how quickly he learned them I decided to keep going, I then taught him to speak(in which he will speak loudly if I say speak and lowly if I ask him to use his indoor voice). He then learned,look out the window, go to the door, go to your dish, and time for bed. But the one thing I couldn't teach him was to lie down... Until one day, I was telling him down and when he wouldn'T I started to get frustrated sighed and put my foot down on the floor(quite loudly) he automatically layed down I was amazed and in about 2 days he had it to a T andcould do it on command without me touching the floor. After that I taught him to roll over.

2.) What I am currently training him is quite difficult also. Where I live(the county I live in and not my house) there has been a few break ins last year and 1 about a week ago. Also people came to my house once at about 10oclock at night and walked around our property drunk. And when my parents leave they do lock the doors but sometimes are door does not lock properly. Therefore when I am home alone, I tend to stick pretty close to my dog(who is very protective of me despite being a husky). So I am teaching him to check all the rooms in our house for anyone. Like to day when I got home from school I was the only one home and when I went to get the key that is hidden outside it looked like someone had moved it so I took my dog opened all the doors and told him check, he'd then go in and look around and come back out, and for the most part he's doing pretty good, the only problem we have is the bathrooms and my parents room because usually he is not allowed in there I just have to show him he is only allowed in there if I invite him in.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that is a pretty neat trick, I think I should train it to my B.C. Although she does jump in my arms. :dogsmile:

Did you initially needed someone to lure him onto your back or he just figured it out with you doing it over your shoulder?

ruffmuttk9z

Since I started doing it with him as a pup it was easy to lure him up there with a treat. Older dogs are harder because they immediately want to vault off of your back so sometimes a 2nd person can be helpful.