Any Tips On Teaching Limp?

Kamomax

I am looking for some good methods of teaching limp. whats a good and effective way to teach him to make his paw stay up? any tips would be great

agilitycrested

I started off with shake, then taught him to wave while sitting, wave while standing, then wave and hold. After he had the wave and hold I call him to me telling hIm wave at the same time. He learned one step at a time. All this was with a clicker.

Chris Dignan

Hey Kamomax, You could target train your dog to hold his front paw up and maintain contact with the target. When he's good with this you could start moving the target away from him slowly enough where he can follow while maintaining the paw position. I have a video if you like:)

fickla

Experienced Member
What stage are you on?

Like Kristina said, I find it's easiest to first teach your dog to wave. It helps with getting that duration of simply holding a paw in the air while standing. From there you can start to worry about the actual forward momentum!

J_Sinay

Thanks for help with this trick. Oscar picked up the basics in just minutes. Now I'm working on getting him to not limp quite so high. At this point he looks like a Hackney Pony!

fickla

Experienced Member
Thanks for help with this trick. Oscar picked up the basics in just minutes. Now I'm working on getting him to not limp quite so high. At this point he looks like a Hackney Pony!
I think that's a normal progression :) I often focus on a jump up to get the dog to learn that he can move with a paw in the air so I often have high limping in the initial stages! I'm glad things are going well!