Any tips for Excema?

cturner37

My Goldie used to suffer badly from large patches of excema (dry). When he arrived with us I changed his diet to a low protein, gluten free dry food, which appears to really suit him. Whilst the patches have really subsided, he still has small patches appearing about the size of a tuppence mainly on his belly and groin, but random other areas in his coat. My vet initially gave him steroid injections but he was quite distressed after these with excessive drinking and urinating. Having approached my vet again, he still advises a steroid approach, which I have now refused.

Has anyone else had any success in managing this condition? Someone has mentioned giving him Piriton, another has mentioned tea tree oil? But before I use him as a medical experiment (!) I wondered if anyone had any success from a homeopathic approach?

Hes 18 months old now and part of me is hoping that the more he settles, and the older he gets, his excema may just clear by itself. What are your thoughts?
Caro xx

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Caro!

I cannot help you on this subject, but if you want, you could send a private message to Lonewolf. He has a very good understanding of dog diets, and helping dogs get better. I'm sure that if he can help you he will. :)

cturner37

Just had a chat with a dog showing friend of mine. In all my years Ive never had a dog with excema, so was everso chuffed when she immediately described 'Retriever Lurgy' to me! This is specific to Golden Retrievers especially very fair ones, and appears with small black scabs with a red area underneath. She has immediately instructed me to transfer to James Welbeloved Ocean Fishes, as its a reaction to preservatives in most mainstream dog foods. Her instructions are to pour a small amount of boiled water on the dry food, (leave to cool), to release the double fat coating that James Welbeloved use, and this will assist better tolerance in the dog.

Clearly, we're not guaranteeing anything at this stage, but I will keep you posted on any success we may have. Just wanted to share this bit of info if any others are experiencing similar problems, and steroid injections have sent you on an expensive hiding to nothing. Caro x

CollieMan

Experienced Member
For what it's worth, I recall reading about Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) being applied to the affected area to help keep it moist and thus less prone to itching, I presume.