A Challenge From Honey The Great Dane

running_dog

Honored Member
This is a video I found some time ago and thought it might be fun to try out the challenge at the end. I'm posting the it now as Kassidy has asked for a challenge to work on. I think most of us are busy thinking about the group video we're working on and the Wide Circles Trick challenge has not yet come to a satisfactory conclusion :eek: so I'm not posting a closing date because I'm hoping to join in this challenge when I can.

If you want to substitute tricks that is fine, however for the sake of the challenge I would stick with the same piece of music and the general theme of tricks, eg/ instead of walking forwards you might walk backwards.

The music you will need is the intro from "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
This is a video I found some time ago and thought it might be fun to try out the challenge at the end. I'm posting the it now as Kassidy has asked for a challenge to work on. I think most of us are busy thinking about the group video we're working on and the Wide Circles Trick challenge has not yet come to a satisfactory conclusion :eek: so I'm not posting a closing date because I'm hoping to join in this challenge when I can.

If you want to substitute tricks that is fine, however for the sake of the challenge I would stick with the same piece of music and the general theme of tricks, eg/ instead of walking forwards you might walk backwards.

The music you will need is the intro from "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
We will definitely try this! This will probably challenge me more than Chloe lol, I'm so uncreative. :p I'll probably copy the routine pretty closely. There's too much snow for me to keep working on wide circles, but I'll join that again when the snow melts (may be a while....). I'm also working on the video for our group video, but I haven't been able to get an envelope or print anything yet, so it's making things difficult.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
We practiced this for about 5 minutes, going well so far, I'll post a video soon. I'm having this feeling im going to have to incorporate limp into the dance somehow lol, Chloe seems conviced that it HAS to be in there. :p Every time I ask for a new move she lifts her front leg and practically says "Are you sure you don't want me to limp instead?"

kassidybc

Experienced Member
LOL for Chloe's limp. Sound like Zac's reverse circle... any time he's not sure he starts walking backwards round me :D.
Hahaha, I'm just waiting for the day we are at an obedience trial and she starts limping as we heel, and they tell me to stop or something because my dog is hurt. :p

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
I saw that video a while back and it stuck in my head.

Veronica and I have been working on cop cop and a couple of leg weaves in the hopes of eventually putting it into a dance. It's going to take us a LONG time. A LONG time. :ROFLMAO:

Something I wondered with doggy dance - so you use primarily body language and hand signals? V. is that odd dog that actually seems to pay more attention to and follow verbal cues over body language (at least in formal training situations) but I don't want to end up talking over the music...

Such a dilemma!

running_dog

Honored Member
I saw that video a while back and it stuck in my head.

Veronica and I have been working on cop cop and a couple of leg weaves in the hopes of eventually putting it into a dance. It's going to take us a LONG time. A LONG time.
The nice thing about this challenge is that it takes away the overwhelming aspect of the choreography. Why not just have a go at this really simple one? You might be surprised how it helps you choreograph your own dance with Veronica Lynn.

Something I wondered with doggy dance - so you use primarily body language and hand signals? V. is that odd dog that actually seems to pay more attention to and follow verbal cues over body language (at least in formal training situations) but I don't want to end up talking over the music...
I think you are right that some dogs rely more on verbal cues and some on body language. Gus is very voice aware, Zac is very body language aware. I suspect that it is the same with dogs that are performing some are more voice controlled than others.

For instance it seems to me that Tina and Chandi rely very heavily on verbal cues for their routines, I saw a video by Tina where she describes how she uses visually invisible verbal cues (such as "T" and "Z") so that observers are not able to see that she is giving a cue. There are other trainers who will use body cues more.

I don't think it would be possible to do distance work and make it look really good based on voice cues alone but for close work just go with what feels right for you and figure out ways to keep the cues subtle.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I still need to video this, I've honestly only worked on it once lol, I got distracted by teaching Chloe to paint (her first painting was beautiful by the way ;) ). Hopefully I can record it soon.

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I still need to get around to doing this... I swear I need to just set aside an entire day to just catch up on all the things I have to record for DTA lol! ;)