Zeke is enrolled in a training class!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Z and I have finally been making progress, I think at least partially because I'm discovering how to tune into his Einstein mind, and he's catching on and discovering how to tune into my mind(so that's what she wants me to do...). Nonetheless, he and I could both benefit from a class. A friend of mine is a trainer, and a very good one I might add. We've talked about putting Mud in an advanced level class and she's helped me a lot with tons of tricks.

After talking to her more elaborately about Zekers, and describing what I'm dealing with as far as roadblocks for advanced tricks, I've decided to put him in an intermediate level class. Here we will work on heel, lengthening his attention span(which seems to be only a problem at home...my shy boy sticks to me like glue in Petsmart. He's too timid to be interested in everything else going on), some advanced tricks, and just generally figuring out how to work with him on more advanced things. It will also be good for him to become more comfortable around more dogs and people. He didn't miss out on any socialization by any means as a pup, but he's always been timid. He looooves people but is too shy to approach them. He's happy for them to pet him, but not brave enough yet to come to them(unless they have a tennis ball). With dogs he's bipolar. Formerly fear aggressive, now he sometimes acts dominant(posturing, but not invading their space), and sometimes he is very timid and will still lower his head and glance towards them, but no attacks. And sometimes he doesn't care about them at all and wants nothing to do with them. He's just an oddball. o-0 So anyway...this class will be really good for him.

Our first class is April 21st. He knows most of the things we'll be learning in that class, but becoming more comfortable in this kind of environment will be good for him and the trainer can probably help me work with him on other things. If he bypasses the others then we'll just get bumped up to the next level class. If he's too shy and overwhelmed then we'll move down. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm still contemplating rehoming either him or Rusty, and I change my mind every day.....but nonetheless, the class will be good for both of us. Rusty needs more private work, which I can't do right now and neither can the trainer...

Anyway....yay! Can't wait. I'll be posting our progress here, of course. Wish us luck!

snooks

Experienced Member
OHH FUN! This ought to be great fun for both of you. Who knows maybe it can rewire his doggie brain an change the home mental impasse. It will def improve his confidence and fun I bet. I'm excited for you guys. You'll have to let us know how things go. :msnparty:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yes tons of fun. ^^ I was talking to the local dog club about agility classes, but for his sake I think he needs a bit of a confidence booster first. If he can become more comfortable in a busy environment I think he'd be more prepared for a crazy, high-drive dog agility class. I'm afraid that'd be like sticking a donkey in the Derby without ever riding him first. Lol! But yes I will definitely be keeping everyone updated. :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
YAY!! Zeke's class starts Tuesday(got postponed for many reasons). I'm thrilled. After seeing Xsara's vid explaining Silvia's heel training method, I'm very tempted to try it with him. Think I'll discuss it with the trainer. She's always open to new methods, but I'm not sure if it will be something we can practice in class. She'd certainly be open to it but she is somewhat restricted by curriculum, and I'm not sure how many other dogs will be in the class. Kinda hard to devote all her time to my one tricky dog, which is entirely understandable. But certainly something we can work on at home.

One thing that does differ from the class way of teaching is that I've used only body blocking with Zeker's for his stay. That's not something typically used in class but it is something I'm sticking with and he's doing wonderfully with it. She's fine with me using whatever methods he knows and has seen what I've done with him. My only concern is that he may shut down with many dogs and people in one space. The last I heard, there were only 4 or 5 in his class and she had told me initially it would be small anyway, which is why I picked it. But all in all I think we're going to do fine. I'm not too worried but I know initially he will probably be a bit overwhelmed. But then again tennis balls do cure all fears, lol!
I'll be posting after his class of course. ^^ Wish us luck!!

snooks

Experienced Member
Yay for Zeker's!! starting class. That should be a blast. I don't think i saw Xsara's vid reference to Sylvia's heel. Where is that - i would love to see it. I've been curious to know how the class was going too. The delay explains why we haven't heard.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol I think you found it in Xsara's "New Puppy" thread already.
Can't wait...he got a bath this morning so he's nice and clean and good smelling for class. Lol! ^^ Supposed to have at least one other BC, a Schnauzer...what else was in it...hmm...I can't remember. Many other breeds, though. I hope the first class isn't just discussion... Zeke and I both want to just get right to work. I'll let everyone know how it goes. :D

snooks

Experienced Member
I did indeed find the vid...so cool.

So Zeke is all decked out and ready to impress!!? Can't wait to hear how it goes.. :dogbiggrin:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
This thread, and other adivce, got me to enroll Buddy in dog school. We have a really top-notch dog school, right here in Elkhart, In. Called Planet Canine. Whole building devoted to all kindsa dog classes, all kinds. They are big into clickers, too.
Reeeeally nice set up. Google it.
Even has a dog pool, that i might get Buddy some time in, if my efforts to get him into water are not successful enough.

Buddy is taking "Basic Manners" and already knows most everything in the lessons, but i am just bringing him to learn to be calm around other dogs. There is one rottweiler, and two german shepherds in our class, so that is good practice for Buddy.

Buddy stands out in class as the crazy lil barker, but i am learning/honing my distraction skills, and learning a lot from the teacher to help Buddy get used to being around rotties and GS.
Finally, on third class, i caught Buddy watching the GS and NOT going crazy!! WOOHOO!! This is a breakthrough. big treats!! big praise!!

Okay, it only lasted a moment or two, but still, Buddy is getting there. ONe moment at a time.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Glad to have had a good influence on you and your decision to enroll Buddy. ^^

Unfortunately I've missed THREE CLASSES in a row...so we're rescheduling, starting over. We had only done two or three classes anyway. I missed 2 when I had to leave town for work, and then got scheduled yesterday to work despite the fact that my availability clearly says I can't work. e-e Different manager has taken over the scheduling and he doesn't bother to look at anything. :dogdry: SOOO we rescheduled. Which stinks because I liked the class he was in. But after missing 3 classes we're so far behind it'd be unfair to both me and Zeke to try to push on. -sigh-

storm22

Experienced Member
im missing my dog training school too, were having a break until august cause this is our winter and it mostly rains at night and who wants to stand out in the rain (not my koda she dont even sit her precious little butt on the wet ground) she just looks at me with utter disgust like are you kidding me!

but when we do go back we'll be doing obedience and starting agility which im looking forward to