Zac The Lurcher

I'm in love :love: I love greyhounds and it seems Zac mostly looks like gray. And that is impressive list of tricks!!! I must show it to whippet/gray's owners whenever they tell me "oh, but you have a GSD, whippets can't learn all that stuff"

running_dog

Honored Member
I'm in love :love: I love greyhounds and it seems Zac mostly looks like gray. And that is impressive list of tricks!!! I must show it to whippet/gray's owners whenever they tell me "oh, but you have a GSD, whippets can't learn all that stuff"
Yes Zac does look like a small greyhound or exactly like a working bred whippet - they are bigger than the show whippets and don't have the arched back.

Whippets and greyhounds are clever but not high drive so they don't insist on being occupied, they also don't automatically focus on their owners so you have to work a bit harder to earn their attention. However I read somewhere (wish I could remember the name and link) about a man who had a troupe of performing dogs, Aussies or border collies I think, but when he rescued a greyhound he said she was one of the cleverest dogs he'd ever worked with. The greyhound did a wind up kangaroo act where he pretended to wind her up using her tail and then she hopped until the clockwork ran down, brilliant, though I think it must have been a terrible strain on her legs. If any one knows who I'm talking about please tell me as I'd love to know too!

Anyhow whippets and greyhounds and lurchers certainly can learn lots of tricks! This is a video I made a few years ago of Zac doing some tricks when we were out for a walk.

running_dog

Honored Member
I thought you might enjoy this video of my favourite whippets on youtube... I can safely say they are my favourites because Zac claims to be a lurcher :LOL:. These dogs really set the bar high for what is possible with whippets and other running dogs... Ruby (the brindle) in particular is my inspiration and challenge all in one.

If you don't want to watch it all agility starts at 1:18. As for me... it takes a long time for me to get bored of watching whippets running on a beach.