Your Feedback About This Site

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
What do you like most about this website?
The passionate people into positive only dog training! It is brill you can come to the site and know that you are chatting to like minded people when it comes to how they work with their dogs! I also like that you get good banter between members! The layout is good and easy to navigate about. And the interaction with video training is also great (point to self, must get a camera that is good at videoing...;))
What would you like to see added to this website?
Maybe a group video section rather than seperate threads, so you could have a member start a weekly idea and members can link in their vids for that week. I love the photo album idea too!
Is there anything you would like to see changed on this website?
I loved the training pages but I know they were too bug filled. Other than that it seems to work great!
Did you receive any instruction, help or tips that were helpful to your training?
I think everyone that is a member of this website - from newbies in dog ownership up to pro trainers get stuff out of this website due to the friendly like minded people on here and the promotion of the positive side of dog training. People always want to help and the odd derail is always amusing too...!:D
What is the biggest thing that you’ve learned on this website?
That there are loads of people that dislike the likes of Caesar Milan as much as I do...!(y) And that there are loadsa people everywhere around the world that are going down the positive only route (it is inspiring and heartwarming to hear that clicker training is coming out on top over the old ways of submission and fear obidience!) It is also great that people are joining everyday and learning that the clicker/positive methods are showing them big differences to what that have been doing and changing their methods to it!
What would you love to learn more of on this website?
The website is great - the only thing I would like to see is more of the people that are reading threads as non members it would be nice to learn more of them because the more members that are actively writing and adding to threads the more variation of ideas you get therefore you learn more ideas and come up with eureka moments in something you may be stuck on! So readers out there join and write your stuff - we all want welcome you and enjoy taking different ideas into account!
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
Just keep up the good work Jean and everyone else! (note to self - I will learn to type quicker so I can input on more threads than I do now!)

Dogster

Honored Member

EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously.:D I LOVE the members, and I LOVE the fact that we all have and share one passion: dogs and dog training.:love:

I really like the photo album idea (I have waaaaay too many pics on my info page, I don't want to bombard my page with pics!!! LOL:ROFLMAO::rolleyes:)
Maybe like a monthly trick contest/competition??? Like "trick of the month" or something like that.

Nope. Nothing. LOVE THIS SITE!!!!:D:love::love:

Did you receive any instruction, help or tips that were helpful in your training?

YES!!!! ALL THE TIME!!!! I wouldn't know close to what I know about dogs and dog training without this site.:)

What is the biggest thing you learned on this website?

THAT POSITIVE TRAINING IS THE BEST!!!!!:D And that I'm not alone. I'm not the only dog trainer out there who is crazy and passionate about dogs.:love:

I would love to learn more about the members on this site. They're the ones that train the dogs, after all!!!!;)

Is there anything else you would like to share?

A HUGE THANK YOU!!! to Jean, for creating this site!!!! What would we do without you???:D
And a HUGE THANK YOU!!! to all the members on the site who always give advice, tips, answer all your questions, congratulate you on all your achievements and are just plain AWESOME!!!!!!!:D

Pawbla

Experienced Member
The community. It's amazing.

Dog books sub-forum? And a photo album does sound nice, although it would imply a bigger load on the server. Maybe add a sort of "photo album" that instead of uploading the pictures here, we upload them to a third-party server and instead of displaying them in a post-form, it is displayed in a photo-album form. Basically the same as a photo album but without the uploading capabilites.

The site is working a bit wonky for me (text boxes). Maybe my browser is not working nicely with it, but anyways, if you could look into it, I'd be forever grateful, because I like my browser a lot.
Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux x86_64; U; en) Presto/2.10.289 Version/12.01
I upgrade it regularly... it wasn't malfunctioning before, but I don't know when it started acting weirdly.

Did you receive any instruction, help or tips that were helpful to your training?
Actually, I got a bunch of nice tips. I learned "the old way" to get the certificate, so there are a lot of things I don't know how to do using only positive training.

What is the biggest thing that you’ve learned on this website?
A lot more than I knew about DA dogs (Thanks Tigerlily!)

General behavioural modification. What to do when things don't go as expected.

Is there anything else you'd like to share?
Best forum ever. It's the only online community I keep visiting even after starting University again and having 12 hours of classes + > 3 hours of home studying a day.

southerngirl

Honored Member
we upload them to a third-party server and instead of displaying them in a post-form, it is displayed in a photo-album form.
That sounds great. Like do a separate website like photobucket. Or could you make a photobucket page for DTA that everyone can upload photo's?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds great. Like do a separate website like photobucket. Or could you make a photobucket page for DTA that everyone can upload photo's?
Actually uploading the pictures to DTA doesn't create any load on the server. I am looking at possible Gallery options as I write this and will hopefully find a suitable script. There are several options at my disposal, but my main concerns is long-term longevity of the gallery.

Too many times in the past I added section to the website only for it to be disbanded later because of upgrade problems or compatibility problems. So I want to make absolutely sure that this add-on will work for the lifetime of the site.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Isn't it space-consuming? As in, if you pay hosting, maybe you might go over the stipulated capacity.
I'm glad you're looking into it :D.

MaryK

Honored Member
What Do You Like Most About This Website?

The people and their dogs. Everyone is very friendly, helpful, no egotism at all. Learning and sharing with other like minded people. The humor, have had some grand laughs. Being able to share with others, especially those fantastic moments when your dog 'get's it'. I don't have anyone around me to share those times, DTA is just perfect.

What Would You Like to See Added To This Site?

A way of contacting people if the computer breaks down, other than through the site. And also, still not sure how to add a signature/photo. Instructions please:)

Is There Anything You Would Like To See Changed on This site?

No it's perfect as it is. Easy to navigate, search etc.

Did You Receive any Instruction, Help or Tips Which Were Useful To Your Training?

Everyday. Not just to specific queries but all round. New ideas for tricks. How to overcome behavioral issues. Always learning from this site. Makes me think. Everyone is so friendly and helpful too sharing their advice. Excellent advice on how to help Ra Kismet with his trauma which was a major issue for me. Loads of help on that and also with trick training, what books to buy. Too much to list. This site and the people ROCK!

What's The Biggest Thing You've Learned On This Website?

Where to start? Most import thing, how to help Ra Kismet over come his trauma. But really, ever day, there is something new and wonderful to learn. How many young people are so good at training their dogs and so helpful too.

What Would You Want To Learn More of on This Web Site?

Cannot speak for others, but all my needs are covered. It's a marvelous site, best on the net.!

Is There Anything Else You'd Like To Share?

A BIG THANK you to Jean Cote and everyone who works behind the scenes to make this the best dog site on the web!

Dogster

Honored Member
You need a photo-hosting site like photobucket to put photos in your signature. You copy the url, then click on the button with the tree on it, and paste the url.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks Dogster. I did have a photobucket site centuries ago but never used it. Will open another one as soon as I am clear of the snail speed downgrading.