You All Have To Read This Book!!!!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I'm up to around page 100 so far - wish I had time to do nothing but read. He obviously has done his research, literally all over the world. I wish every dog owner (or prospective owner) would read this - it may give some pause before they run off to the local pet store for a "cute" or "pretty" dog, and others a truckload of questions before they head to the local "breeder". (My pardons to any respectable breeders out there - I'm referring to the "backyard" variety, who distribute litters like cartons of disposable objects). So many topics he's covered already - DNA, genetics, what we've (humans) done to dogs (breeding for looks vs function), and now he's discussing vaccines. Can't wait to keep on reading!!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
So do we throw the baby out with the bath water when we run across something in a book that we disagree with? Or do we simply excuse the author for their ignorance on a certain area, acknowledging that they may actually be quite knowledgeable in others? I am going to continue reading, and pass judgement later.
I think that, now, there are enough good books out there that I don't waste my time on books that talk about dominance nonsense and choking chains etc. First I can't see the book for all the eye-rolling it makes me do ;-) but also there are books out there with great ideas that don't advocate leash jerks or have prolonged dominance fantasy sequences ("Your dog rushed ahead because he thinks he's the boss" etc.). It's just not useful, and it makes me skeptical about their other ideas, if they think this nonsense makes sense. On a side note, "Control Unleashed" (the newer, puppy book) is a great book for dogs who could use some lessons on self-control and it does not involve physical punishment.

Re: Pukka's Promise, the reviews I read said he used a shock collar to keep the dog away from the neighbor's porch, or something? I didn't hear about the chasing wildlife thing. I'm not putting the kabosh on it for this -- I'll definitely wait for the book in order to see what I think in general, though I know what I think about shock collars. Overall though the good reviews I'm hearing on this list are encouraging :-)

sara

Staff member
No the neighbours porch thing was with Merle, when he didn't know better (whom he also used a choke collar on and fed sub-standard kibble, like most of us have done in the past, and we've all graduated from) He talks about it for sure, but he is an advocate for clicker training, and does not promote the shock collar.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Just finished it tonight - and honestly, I wish every dog owner (or prospective owner) would read it. It's one of those books that has made me stop and re-think everything I *thought* I knew or believed, and he has me thinking about and looking at many things differently. It's good when books (or people, or anything) do that - it's good to be shaken up. :confused: As for the shock collar incident - truly, it's a minor thing. First, he uses it on himself (his own neck) before he would use it on Pukka. He truly wanted to see what he was going to do to his dog, at the level he'd be using it. He didn't just give him a blast to stop some unwanted behavior. He's definitely all for positive training. But he was truly having difficulties, and needed something else. He used it only a few times, he used it properly (meaning, he didn't just slap it on and start punching buttons), and didn't use it anymore. He's researched his book all over the world, compiled stats, asks lot of questions (some still unanswered, some are rhetorical) - and under it all is a great story of Pukka and him (cuz he is a great storyteller). Can't wait to hear others' thoughts once you read it.

sara

Staff member
Isn't it amazing Jackienmutts? I felt absolutely the same way (though I had already come to alot of his conclusions through my own research :)

Southerngirl, prepare to bawl your eyes out in the last half of Merle's Door!

threenorns

re shock collars, there is very definitely a valid place for them

it's not because the dog keeps barking or won't stay off the couch or keeps jumping on ppl at the door.

it's for when the dog is going to get killed if he keeps doing what he's doing - even temple grandin says so.

example: if you live in rattlesnake country, confronting a snake is no time for clicks and treats. you see the dog nosing up to a snake and ZAP!!!! dog gets the very clear message in a non-lethal way that snakes *hurt*.

example: if you have a dog with a high prey drive that likes to chase deer or (worse!) sheep and other domestic livestock, you can click and treat all the livelong day but it's not going to snap him out of prey mode. temple explains that prey drive is nothing like anything humans have - it's not fear, it's not aggression, it's not hyperness - it's when the dog (or cat) has become a pure killing machine. treats just ain't gonna cut it. so you wait until the dog is just about up to his prey and BAMMO! dog learns that the sheep gods are watching him and will lose interest very quickly. a short, sharp shock applied at the opportune moment is far better than your dog getting shot for being a sheep-killer.

example: your dog won't stop chasing cars and you live near a busy road.

basically, anything that is likely to get your dog killed if he doesn't stop NOW is when you want to use the shock collar.

if it's just a nuisance and annoying, that's when you just have to suck it up and invest the time and energy in proper training.

and yes, in a perfect world, the dog would be under control or restrained at all times but we all know how realistic that is.

southerngirl

Honored Member
So I'm reading Merle's Door and it is great! I'm at page 261, I would normally have finished a book this size by know, but I've been too busy to fit much reading in. Know that things have slowed down some I'll be finished soon and will start to read Puka's Promise.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Me three!! :cry::LOL: I think any of us who have gone thru "it" with old dogs (and I've gone it with several) just knew the love that was there, and knew what was coming. It's so hard watching them grow old - and he told Merle's story so beautifully. And I loved his nod to him in Pukka's story, also. :love: