Yogurt as a treat?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
To the best of my knowledge and reading, yogurt itself is fine in small amounts. However, be aware of the fat content and try to opt for no/low fat and sugar-reduced or sugar-free varieties. Also avoid those with added ingredients such as raisins, etc, as the added ingredients can be toxic to dogs.

snooks

Experienced Member
Since this is a large breed puppy be very sure not to exceed on a consistent basis his calcium % of total calories. Too much makes bones grow faster and weaker and is the leading cause of musculoskeletal problems in large dogs. Most of the research I've seen is done on Danes; the calcium and calcium phosphorous ratio is the most important factor in bone health.

As CM suggests fat ideally should be around 15% for a growing pup and sugar free plain yogurt is best. Just add up the calories and calc the %ages. The AAFCO guidelines (assoc american feed control officials similar to the FDA for humans) have clearly separated out the biggies protein, fat, calcium, phosphorous, ca/p ratio, vitamins and minerals. Note at top of the link how to calculate dry matter % i.e. with the water % subtracted.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1661&aid=662

Most commercial kibbles are already high or very high in calcium so be careful about adding Ca to a growing puppy's diet. Now and then it's fine esp if you give less kibble that day and add yams and yogurt. Don't substitute calories out as practice unless you're going to track nutrients etc. Treats here and there are great. My pups both LOVE yogurt and cottage cheese, cream cheese, and string cheese. Mostly their treats are baked chicken or beef b/c protein % while important is not as critical to have consistently dead on. There is a great deal of controversy about % of protein but varying a bit doesn't do physical damage like Ca can.

Fat is important since many vitamins are fat soluble only and therefore bioavailable only in the presence of fat. With much research 22-26% protein and 15% fat for growing large breed puppies tends to feel safe for most experts.

Ca on the AAFCO page is for puppies at 1% but many experts say .8%. The Ca/P ratio is listed as .8 but most kibbles have .5 Most do agree a slightly shorter dog and a lean (not thin) dog is healthier and lives longer in general. For this reason many breeders including my puppy's, nutrition experts, etc are not feeding puppy kibble but large breed adult b/c of its lower Ca and better Ca/P ratio nearer .5

If an adult food needs fat added to get to 15% wild caught salmon, cod, or flax (possible some digestive upset with flax) are the ones to add. They are Omega 3, 6, &9 fatty acids which are healthiest for dog cardiovascular systems just like humans.

Also most puppies tolerate dairy but yours may not. Just something to consider. Mine love their dairy in moderation. Hope this helps without alarming you. Just not too much and not every day if feeding commercial kibble.

:dogblush:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yes snooks has such a good heart to help us out when we need help. Thanks snooks! I should have made you member of the year. :dogsmile: We love you!

snooks

Experienced Member
AW thanks. It is nice being able to help. My dogs were my best teachers. :dogwink:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Snooks, you ARE the bomb...i was just looking to find yogurt on here somewhere, WA-LAA! There it is!!
I let my dog lick the last lil smears of yogurt out of my yogurt container. Now he follows me around if i am eating one.:msngiggle: