Yay! Fresh Mind!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, only here can I entitle a thread with the words "Fresh mind" and have 80ish% of readers not think I'm crazy.
So just a random comment...I've been really busy this week and haven't had a chance to get on much, but I have squeezed in a small amount of time with my friend's new dog. He just adopted a 2 year old Catahoula mix and wants help teaching him a large number of tricks, of course starting with the basics. This dog is super smart and learns very quickly!!
So far he's learned sit, down, wave, high five(both paws), and we're working on a really solid "come" command. We have also done a little shaping, as many of the tricks he wants him to know will require him to pick up various objects.
That was only in two sessions...and he hasn't bought a clicker yet, and I didn't have mine with me. My first time to start a dog with verbal marker only, and only time to use exclusively a verbal marker! I was pretty proud of myself; my timing was very good. ^^ Yay me, lol!
Anyway, "Cowboy" is a clean slate, which is very fun for me. Get to start from the beginning and teach new things. Having tons of fun with him. :) He's just eating up all the new knowledge.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh how fun for you - and it sounds like your friend adopted a little genius!! Sounds like you're doing a great job, and I'd also say yay to you, great timing!!! :) You're gonna have a blast with this one! Love the name, Cowboy sounds like the perfect name for a Catahoula mix. Isn't it just so cool to work with a dog who is so excited to learn? I LOVE that!!!! Have fun!!!

Ina

You are obviously on the same level as the dog. I was watching "The Dog Whisperer" on TV last night and he seems to be amazing in "reading" a dog. Well, I am getting there. A whole bunch of people have asked me already to help them to train their dogs. I'm probably better than someone who doesn't know anything, but I am still a bit hesitant to try my luck on other peoples dogs.

Re the clicker. If I don't have the clicker with me (on walks for example) I simply make the clicking sound with my tongue. Works just as well ;)

sara

Staff member
OH, I am soooo with you there Tx! When I was thinking of adopting Boo, the one thing majorly swaying the decision was YAYYYY another deaf dog to teach tricks to!

Is it really weird that I adopt dogs because it's another dog with issues that I can teach tricks to?

At least you can do it without actually adopting the dog... a very healthy (read less expensive) way to be Tx! LOL

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
LOL yeah it's kind of funny, everytime the "new pup itch" really starts to get me, a new client comes along. I always really enjoy working with a clean slate, as I haven't had my own clean slate in......goodness, 3, 4 years??? WOW! Of course I always love working with my dogs and doing more advanced tricks, but it's fun starting from the beginning again.
He's wanting to teach him to get his hat, a drink from the fridge, keys, and various other items, along with other fun tricks. And he wants to be able to walk him off leash. Pretty easy stuff, just going to take a lot of time. Which is fine with me. ^^

Cowboy is a little Einstein, and he does really enjoy learning. He's pretty high-energy and will be really fun to do the more advanced stuff with. He reminds me of a mix between Mud and Zeke--he loves loves loves tennis balls, learns really fast, and loves life. I'm having fun with him. :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Whoo!! Fun shaping session today. Got him to pick up a glove and give it to me. Haven't added any distance yet, he's just picking it up right in front of me and giving it to me. Nonetheless...whoo hoo! Since he's still really early in his training, he wears out kinda fast so we just have a few super short mini sessions. His "come" is very enthusiastic(Yay!). He also now knows "Up high!" (high five standing on hind legs).

Training is going well, taking it pretty slow but still making good progress. :)