WOW! Great service training vids...

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0mxt7v-EYk&feature=channel_page[/media]

Found this on Clickertrickdog's faves and had to share. I'm HOOKED!

This particular video shows teaching to pull off clothing, but also includes intros to doing laundry, taking sheets off the bed, and a variety of other things. Tons of great vids from this user! I'll certainly be watching many of them. I've kind of been experimenting with service-related tricks with Mudflap and this has really sparked my interest.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I love teaching Ellie service-dog type things. I remember, not long after getting her, I read something about Border Collies not being ideal for service-dog work as they are usually too manic and hyper. Well, there is one sure way to get me to do something, and that's to tell me that it shouldn't, can't, or mustn't be done.

Today, she will happily take off your socks and sit in front of you so that you don't have to bend down to pick them up, when hearing the request "socks". She will also happily load items into the washing machine when hearing the request "in the wash". She'll shut doors ("Shut the door"), fetch the remote ("Remote"), fetch the phone ("Get the phone"), open the fridge door ("Fridge") etc. etc.

I think many of these are already on video. I think I love teaching this type of behaviour more than any other as you get a real sense of accomplishment and you know that one day you may just need it in a real-world situation. I also like that it means we work together around the house a lot more.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I love teaching service tasks as well. ^^ We have only recently gotten into this, so Mud doesn't know very many of those yet. She will get me a kleenex, get my keys, bring me my wallet, etc. We'll work on more soon.

As for BCs not being ideal for service work, I would agree to a certain extent. Depending on the disability, a workaholic BC might be too much for the owner to handle. Indeed Border Collies could learn and excel at the job itself, but I can certainly see an eager-to-please BC bringing household objects at random lol. ^^ And although the job would be incredibly rewarding for the dog, exercise might still become an issue and they might still become bored and obsessive. I think it's not so much that they wouldn't be good at it--they'd be phenomenal--but more that they'd be a bit of a handful, depending on the disability.

fickla

Experienced Member
I just found this organization's youtube videos, I am impressed
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XVywhurZj0[/MEDIA]

In the 4wk old video, the pup is already doing a rollover and targeting!

snooks

Experienced Member
my dogs both ran in here to the clicker on the first vid HHAH!! I treated them because they thought it was me summoning them. because both were being very nice and quiet on the deck-perfect timing, now mute the sound. :)

I don't think the treat dispenser would be full for long after my dogs figured out that the lever = treat.

very nice work i'm always looking for this type of thing. we're good at picking up laundry when mom drops it. thanks!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol I think Rusty would just smack the lever all day long.

Thought you'd enjoy this one Snooks. When I ran across it I started watching more and more of her vids and they're great. I'm impressed!

Anneke

Honored Member
This is great!! I have a friend who resently got diagnozed with MS. She is still very mobile, for now. But she kept one of the pups from her litter and is planning on training him to be a service dog, or at least teach him a few helpfull tricks.
Today she talked about getting him to do things like taking off her socks, so I was looking around for vids, making a trainingschedule in my head. She isn't really into the clicker yet, so I have to make a very detailed plan, with little steps. The vids are very helpfull!!
I think I'll try this on Jinx first;)

Dlilly

Honored Member
I love that video!! That's the video that taught me how to teach Shiloh to take my socks off, take my jacket off, and how to do the laundry. I really do enjoy teaching her useful tricks like those! n_n