Wishing for Weimaraners

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I've been a Weim fan for loooong time now, but it seems there aren't too many around DTA! If not for my already full house, I would have a little Weim of my own. Any Weimaraner owners here, or any other fans anyway? :dogsmile:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Well, depends on where you are. They're quite popular with many hunters, but in Texas...well, just depends. The breeding of the Weimaraner was so selective and careful, there tends to be less Weims around than most other breeds. The plus side of that though is that it's relatively easy to find a reputable breeder with quality stock.

bigboytex

well thats a god thing other wise u get a bunch of inbred mutts that destroy the breed.. Theres nothing wrong with mutts but still......

l_l_a

I think they are beautiful dogs! they look so elegant, graceful, thoughtful, and I just love their color!! (sister-in-law had a weim, died at the ripe old age of 15 recently) Very high-energy though, so definitely not for everyone and I've been told not good apartment dogs. But definitely good for someone who is active and wants a very 'physical' dog!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
There are several locally to me. The three things that I've seen common through them all are:

Strength. They are incredibly strong and muscular dogs. I don't think they know their own strength.

Energy. Wow, these dogs are high energy. Mix that with the above strength and you could have problems.

Strong-willed. Maybe I just have poor owners locally to me but all these dogs seem to be strong-willed and, as such, poorly trained. Usually this is tolerable, but with such strength and energy, it's an accident waiting to happen.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
They are indeed very high energy. I've heard they can be difficult to train, although most are very smart. The few that I've seen around here seem to be pretty well-behaved dogs. High energy, yes, but well-behaved. They are definitely a dog that requires careful and patient training, and lots of exercise. Those three combinations without proper training is definitely an accident waiting to happen, CollieMan. The Weims I've known were fairly difficult to train(so the owners said), but they were good dogs and listened well. Of course, Weims here and Weims where you live aren't bred the same. =)
|_|_a, was your friend's Weim a long-hair or short-hair? Long-hairs are pretty rare, but thought I'd ask. ^^

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yeah, I only recently learned about the long-hairs. Beautiful dogs!
Lol, Wegman's great. ^^ I love his pictures.