Wipe Your Paws

Evie

Experienced Member
Hi,

Has anyone taught their dog to wipe their paws before coming inside?

It's been raining heaps the last few days and Evie's had a wonderful time in the mud, so I thought I'd teach her to wipe her paws.

We had our first training session last night, but i can't work out how to get her to wipe her back paws too..... any ideas?

video of the second half of our first training session (with some other tricks on the end which I hadn't yet gotten around to filming)

Dogster

Honored Member
:LOL: GREAT JOB!!!!! LOVe the video!!!!:D You can see Shivon's wipe in my video(y)
I don't know how to teach a dog to wipe its back paws, but I think it involves back legs awareness. A lot of dogs "don't know" they have back legs.

Amateur

Experienced Member
How did you get your BC to do these tricks in 3rd speed ... mine always goes up to 11 !

Evie

Experienced Member
Lol, evie is never in a rush to do tricks. She gets excited about some if them, but never does them quickly. I kinda wish she would spin faster lol

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I did teach Buddy to wipe his paws, it was super easy to teach, i just put a toy under a throw rug and clicked as he worked to move the rug off of the toy,
(which looked like him wiping his paws) He "got it" right away.

then, over time, i faded out the toy, so he is now just wiping his paws, and did begin to click only times the rug did NOT curl up, but, i was using a pretty heavy rug, though.

I did quit using this trick, though, as it did tear up my rugs....:(

Anneke

Honored Member
I call this trick "dig":D Made a start at teaching it, but abandoned it for a while(read: got distracted on other tricks:ROFLMAO:)
I'm not even going to try it with backlegs... Jinx does not know she has those and I am too impatient topersue it right now:oops:

Evie

Experienced Member
Lol tigerlilly, I intend on getting one of those outside matt which people wipe their shoes on for evie to wipe her paws on, the rug she used in the video was the only thing i could find to train with lol.

The back legs sound like they're going to be really hard :(

sara

Staff member
Ha ha ha at all the dogs without back legs! I so lucked out with Oliver, he LOVES rear end tricks! and backwards tricks LOL.

I could easily teach this to Oliver, he does it every time he pees and poops, and throughly enjoys it, so i'd just have to capture the behaviour.

Evie

Experienced Member
Evie only does it very rarely after toileting - or else i would have captured it that way.... So back to the drawing board for me.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Evie, sometimes, after my dog pees, he kicks the dirt back afterwards.
You *might* consider, bringing a clicker along on walks, and "capture" Evie doing a back leg kick after a pee?
and giving it a cue word, "back paws" and then,
bring the carpet out to your lawn, and after Evie can kick back legs on cue, from you 'capturing' it,
then lure Evie onto mat, and give cue, and so on?? and then move mat back where it belongs? and so on?

downside------ Evie may begin to think she should kick dirt around after each and every pee pee..:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
well, i am just guessing at ways to capture back legs kicking/wiping....

but, like i said, this *might* also cause your dog to believe she has to kick dirt after each and every pee pee, :ROFLMAO: not sure.....

Evie

Experienced Member
I've only ever seen Evie do that after peeing like twice ever. So it's not a behaviour i can capture :(

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
hmmmm.....i wonder, i wonder,
if you put a piece of something, like a piece of toliet paper wrapped on her paw, if she'd try to scrape it off/wipe it off??? ...click/treat! click/treat!

no idea, really. she might try to eat it off, instead of wipe it off....
at any rate, GOOD LUCK EVIE!!

Evie

Experienced Member
uh, She will probably ignore it.... but it MIGHT work. It's certainly worth a try. She cut the pad of her back paw about 2 weeks ago so for an hour, while it was still fresh and bleeding (all over my carpets) I wrapped it up in toilet paper and sticky tape and told her to leave it lol :giggle:

After she worked out that she could actually walk on it she just left it alone until it stopped bleeding :rolleyes: So I may have already killed that as a training possibility, but it's worth a shot regardless lol