Will Destroy The Garden!

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
Hello!!
I will be moving in about a month!!:) !!! And that's very cool!!! Laika will get some friends!!:)
But...
We will have a garden on the same place where Laika will stay and I'm sure she will destroy it.:( I am not finding much information about how to stop it. So do you have any suggestions? How do you prevent your dogs from doing it?
(Laika is an outdoors dog so I won't be watching most of the time...)

MaryK

Honored Member
The move sounds like fun:) I can appreciate your problem though with Laika. Would it be possible to have an area fenced off for her? That's the most effective way. If not then it will be a matter of teaching Laika 'off' when she gets too close to the garden. I think she knows leave, from memory, so whenever she gets too close to the garden beds, use that command.

She's a smart girl, so she should quickly learn that the garden beds are a no no.

Also, when she needs to 'go to the toilet', go back to puppy basics and show her the spot that you want her to use. That way she'll not use the garden beds, which are a favorite place nice soft soil etc., if the dog's not trained to keep off in the first place.

There are products you can purchase, Skat Off I think is the name, which prevent dogs and cats from going on the garden beds but I've never used them. I've always just used 'leave' or 'off' when they get too close and showed them where to go to the toilet.

Plus heaps of toys!!!!!!!!!! Loads of things for her to play with so she'll not be bored. Kongs stuffed with treats (frozen if it's hot weather) will keep her busy and more interested in them than chewing up the flowers.

Good luck and do post photos or a video of Laika in her new home, how exciting:)

Tâmara Vaz

Experienced Member
I sure will make a video when we move:D !!!!!
Well... a "sandbox" could be some places for digging, etc which she 'll have....
Go to the toilet out of the garden won't be a problem I think...

""""Plus heaps of toys!!!!!!!!!! Loads of things for her to play with so she'll not be bored. Kongs stuffed with treats (frozen if it's hot weather) will keep her busy and more interested in them than chewing up the flowers.""""Laika 'off' when she gets too close to the garden. I think she knows leave, from memory, so whenever she gets too close to the garden beds, use that command."""""
I guess that's the solution! Still not so safe for my plants... In last case we'll have to fence it off Laika.

Thanks!

MaryK

Honored Member
Also give her a ton of exersice!!

You can try getting her a sandbox too. I saw it on It's me or the dog, and it seemed to work for that dog.
That's a good idea, will have to remember it(y) I must have missed that episode of It's Me or the Dog, or it hasn't been shown here as yet.