Why?

southerngirl

Honored Member
So.. Grumpy Chase growls at Piper for everything she does, she can't even sit near him. Well my question is why in the heck does Piper go over to him and smell his face when he does growl at her? He'll even walk away from her when we tell him to in order to keep him from jumping her, but Piper will follow him. My mom insist that she's provoking him, but I feel like that's not why. Maybe it's a submissive thing?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Is she bored at the time? Could be in her eyes negative attention is better than no attention. Like little kids who misbehave when they are feeling ignored, just to get attention. Plus, some young dogs are just idiots sometimes. Chase is unintentionally reinforcing her, and if he initiates a "chase scenario" even though he isn't running, it's still a game to her. If you are afraid that Chase may bite Piper, you probably have to deal with the problem by confining her, and making sure she is not reinforced for annoying old grumpy pants.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Is she approaching and head low and calm? When she sniffs his face is she aiming to lick around his mouth?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Is she bored at the time? Could be in her eyes negative attention is better than no attention. Like little kids who misbehave when they are feeling ignored, just to get attention. Plus, some young dogs are just idiots sometimes. Chase is unintentionally reinforcing her, and if he initiates a "chase scenario" even though he isn't running, it's still a game to her. If you are afraid that Chase may bite Piper, you probably have to deal with the problem by confining her, and making sure she is not reinforced for annoying old grumpy pants.
I don't think it's an attention thing because she pretty much ignores Chase and when he walks past her she gets the heck out of the way. And Chase has out of no where jumped on Piper, only reason he hasn't hurt her is because he physically can't. Piper has been pretty good at just defending herself and not attacking back.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Yes, she is calm and she has licked him before. Not sure about head being low.
I am only trying to get a basis for an opinion here, I hope you don't mind. I am just wondering if she is doing the puppy thing still with Chase, that he is the older, wiser, dog and she is going up to him despite the growling, not to wind him up, but to show submission to Chase. What is the worst he has done? Is it all noise or are you worried he will hurt her?

southerngirl

Honored Member
I am only trying to get a basis for an opinion here, I hope you don't mind. I am just wondering if she is doing the puppy thing still with Chase, that he is the older, wiser, dog and she is going up to him despite the growling, not to wind him up, but to show submission to Chase. What is the worst he has done? Is it all noise or are you worried he will hurt her?
I know he is putting his teeth on her because she has a small mark below her eye. He has not left a puncture mark on her so I guess it's really just noise, but it scares the crud out of me. Usually I can shout "hey" and her backs off a few times I had to grab him and push him away. Piper will try going over to him after this even with me pushing her back to keep him from jumping her again. When she does this she's not showing any aggression. I'm am more scared of him causing aggression or fear issues for Piper.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
I am not sure if I can help much - but if you have not already - you could spend time teaching Piper 'manners' in how she approaches Chase. It sounds like she does not approach him to wind him up but he is an old gent that does not want the young girl bothering him. I know it is all easier said than done. Maybe spend time sitting with Chase and asking Piper to approach quietly to you and not right up to Chase. When she comes and sits by you, praise/treat her for her quietness and particularly stopping before actually reaching Chase and treat or praise Chase for allowing her to that distance without growling. If he starts tensing up then back her off prior to him going to the next level and give it 5 mins and try again. If he responds to massage/touch from you do that as he is lying there when she approaches and praise him as he is staying calm as she approaches. Hopefully this could teach her space and him that she is not always going to 'bother' him right in his face. I am only giving an idea and not saying this is definately the right thing to do but I hope this might help a bit. I don't think he is wanting to be properly aggressive towards her, but just doesn't want to be bothered by her. She is still a young and learning pup that has an energy level that is higher than Chase wants close to him.