Whoooo, new trick!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
The last week or so I've been sick and incredibly bored from not having the energy to do much of anything. Mud and I have kind of been backtracking, teaching her simple tricks that I just never bothered to teach her. She has learned touch, and we are in the beginning stages of lifting diagonal legs. She learned touch flawlessly in one session, and in another session she learned to respond to me touching the inside of her back leg by lifting it. It's going quite well.
In lieu of being sick, I decided to teach her to bring me a Kleenex. I hadn't really planned on teaching her this, but...well, it's helpful. xD So, in our first session, which was yesterday, she learned to pull a tissue out of the box. Today will be our second session, in which I hope she will learn to pull it out and hold it. This will be the most difficult part because she's not fond of hanging onto anything for very long. So, wish us luck. :doghappy: I'm excited with her progress and we'll see how it goes. Just wanted to share with you guys what we've been working on. :dogbiggrin:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe, nothing like a moist tissue! :dogsmile:

Good job tx_cowgirl! That shows how easy it is to train a dog, even someone lying in her bed can do it! :D

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks guys, lol! ^^ Still working on holding it, but she does understand that she has to give it to me. And surprisingly enough, she's taken to dropping the tissue rather than tossing it like she does everything else...which wouldn't work well anyway with a tissue. xD She's getting there. :doghappy:

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Thats great!! :)
Does she drop it into your hand already, or you didn't want that from her yet?

lotuslily

what a great idea for a trick! :) keep us posted on your progress.. I'd love to see a video of this once you guys have it perfected :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I'll get a vid once she has it mastered. =) We're having a bit of trouble hanging onto the tissue, but for now I'll see if I can get a vid of what she's got so far. :dogsmile:

yoyopoodle

lol - what is your command? I taught my first dog, Max, to respond to "Ah-Choo!" and an actual sneeze sound. It wasn't too practical with him because he liked it so much he'd pull out a tissue, drop it, get another, and another... he'd finally bring it to me after going through about 5 tissues :D

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I haven't taught a command yet because right now we're still at working on holding it. She really doesn't like holding things in her mouth that aren't toys. I haven't gotten a chance to work with her as much as planned lately, so we're taking a bit longer than expected. ^^

drgnrdr

can you sub a tissue for a men's hankerchief? it might a very better texture and something she can chomp and hold on too better than a thin paper tissue?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
That's a good idea. Either way it's going to be tricky. She's never liked holding things in her mouth unless she's just playing with them. I'll see what she thinks of a handkerchief though. =)