Where can I buy a clicker?

luna may

When I signed up for this site I found out avout the benefits of the clicker, so I wanted to ask:
Where can I buy one?
How much does it cost?
Can you make one yourself?
How do you you teach your dog to understand what it means?

Thanks for your help! :D

bipa

Most pet stores carry at least the basic style of clicker for as little as $3 - $5 US. (even cheaper sometimes on sale) You can also get them online at any web site that sells basic pet supplies, or even Amazon.

I suppose you could make one yourself, but why bother when they're so cheap?
As for beginning with clicker training, Jean does a great job explaining it and getting you started right here in the Academy Classroom! So you're just a click away :msngiggle:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't already done so, I have written a lesson called "Clickers" in the level1 of the classroom.

All pet stores sell clickers, you can get cheap ones for like 2-3$ or better models for slightly more money. You can get fancy electronic clickers for more money, around $15 online.

bipa

Perhaps a little more basic info would help. The mechanics of how to charge the clicker doesn't really explain how the dog understands what it means.

I would suggest scrolling up to the top of this page and clicking on Classroom, and then starting at the very beginning with Level One, Lesson One. Do the first four lessons, or at least read through them, and then come back if you have any more questions.

Cheers!

leema

In the interum between wanting to use a clicker and actually getting ones (as stores don't stock them in Australia, or at least none that I've found) I just used the top of a pen to mark behaviour. This is how Mac learnt to walk backwards. ^_^

daniii

I'm having the same problem as you, couldn't find a clicker so I'm ordering it online. It's amazing how some pet stores sell just toys and food, while training is just as important as those two things.

Luckily, you always the internet to turn into. ^__^

It's unfair thou, clickers are much more rare and expensive here....I found one that is like $6 (with the actual price of the dolar here)

luna may

leema;2099 said:
In the interum between wanting to use a clicker and actually getting ones (as stores don't stock them in Australia, or at least none that I've found) I just used the top of a pen to mark behaviour. This is how Mac learnt to walk backwards. ^_^
What do you mean by "The top of a pen"? :msnquestion:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
luna may;2176 said:
What do you mean by "The top of a pen"? :msnquestion:
The pens with the retractable nibs make a soft clicking sound when you pop them in and out of the pen casing.

leema

Some pens you can push the top when you want to write, so the nib comes out the base. When you push, it makes a clicking noise.

cppugs

A friend of mine gave me a CLIK-R FINGER clicker. I love it! I am always fumbling with the treat and the clicker. The finger strap makes it easy to hold both without having to shuffle something to the other hand. This is a pix of it. I have found them cheaper online, but this was the best photo of one. http://tinyurl.com/6oe3wr

Charleen