When I Caught Sasha Sleeping In My Bed

alcastive

Sasha had her own place to sleep in but one day she decided to change the rules!

Caught!

Yeah i had to live with it, my bed is shared now! she wants my bed coz it's bigger than hers :p

Ina

..hehe.. I love the "Who, me???" look on her face !
My pup is practicing to jump up onto the bed every day. I think I still have about 2 weeks before he is going to be big enough to jump up. I will enjoy the space in my bed whilst I can !

sara

Staff member
Try sharing a double bed with 5 dogs.... albeit they're not big dogs (Oliver's my biggest at 40lbs, Mouse my smallest at 8 lbs), but...

Ina

You should go for a king size :)

Many years ago (before kids) I shared my king sized bed with a Rottweiler, Labrador, Ridgeback and a small toydog (unknown breed) ... plus 4 cats AND a husband. Not surprising that we didn't have any kids back then :whistle:

alcastive

LOL Ina! and with that you did you have a good sleep :) ? sasha and I have fight every night on where to sleep in the bed she want to take half of the place and she's a tiny little dog lol so it end up me putting her in my arms to sleep.

sara

Staff member
LOL @ Ina! My dogs, thankfully have some bedtime manners, and just curl up, or stretch out and go to sleep... but the odd time I've woken up to a scrap in my bed :eek: Zoe gets a little testy is she gets woken from her beauty sleep :ROFLMAO:

Joly

Just out of curiosity... (I don't want to be impolite. I do respect everyone's choices.)
Dogs that sleep on bed, aren't they less disciplined? Doesn't it cause behavior problems? How do you deal with it?

It may just be an old belief I have or it may depend on the particular dog (as I know mine... she'd think she is the queen of the world if I'd let her do that!). I even heard dogs should'nt sleep in our bedroom! (but mine does and I don't think it caused any problems)

Anyway... here, my husband would never let a pet touch his blankets!! :LOL:

fly30

Experienced Member
Joly, I don't believe that allowing the dog somewhere as odd as a bed can cause behavious problems as long as you can ask them to get out and they do it straight away. Now if they start growning when you ask them out, that's another story. I don't allow Fly on my bed, just because it's our bed and not hers, and I don't like dogs on beds. However I love my Fly on the sofa when I'm sitting on it. She never jumps up if uninvited and she jumps off if I ask her to. If I had difficulties in having her leaving the sofa, she would not be allowed to even put a paw on it. It's just a question of dog personality for me.

alcastive

@ joly

first time i had sasha i was like no that's mine ! my bed, my stuff... but then when you have a family that most are not comfortable when the dog is in the house, mum and maid are afraid of her and can;t be near her, dad and brother like sasha but they feel less comfortable coz she just want to have everything even if you are eating and she's eating she want that food that it's in your mouth :) little cheeky dog, i loved sasha and JRT in general i was very stubborn on my stuff but then i realized that sasha's space is being limited as she;s not allowed in the saloon, kitchen... only my room (my bath :p) and the living room (afternoon) so what's the eye catcher in my room my big bed that look huge comparing to her's and since the last owner was letting her sleep in her bed sasha thought that it's her "right" to sleep in mine, at first i didn't let her do it but when i got back from work i see her in my bed i asked on the internet for help of some professionals, if it's not a right behavior if i can get sick or give her any if i have flu , if her breathing is not good for my health then i found it's all clean and there are no reason to forbid her, she loves to do that. After all a dog is like a little kid saying no to things he/she like is like a kind of punishment

Joly

Thx for the answers! It's very interresting to have those point of view.

@ Fly
I perfectly understand the sofa comparison. It's the same here. It makes sense it must be the same thing for the bed. :)

@ Alcastive
I think it's very good you checked with professionals it was ok to let the dog sleep in your bed! I didn't know those things too. :)

sara

Staff member
My dogs sleep in the bed, always have, always will. They're not posessive of it, and will get down instantly when asked, they know the rules, therefor, they get the privelage of being up... Boo had a tough time learning the rules, and was banned from the bed for the first few weeks, then I gave him a shot, but he got put down (cant get up on his own) any time he climbed over me, or growled... now he's a good little bed warmer!