When A Dog Is Too Big For Cop Cop

J_Sinay

So I can't say that my dog is too big or if I am too little, but I tried to teach my dog cop cop and it just didn't work. I got him to walk between my legs on command and then I tried to add the "on my feet part" and I just couldn't bend around his body so that my feet were close enough for his feet to be on mine. I'm sure I looked hilarious trying to walk pigeon toed and bow legged to achieve this, but besides that it was a no go. Any one else have this trouble?

sara

Staff member
Nope, I have a similar question... when is a dog too small! LOL My little Dachshunds and I cant seem to get it together... I tend to fall over trying to walk in small enough steps for their short little legs! also very funny looking! LOL

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Kind of a different trick, but you could allow just walking between your legs to be a trick, and you could also teach him to maybe face you and put his paws on your feet. Not the same trick and a little more difficult(because both of you would have to be pretty coordinated!), but still cute. :)
Not a good trick for me, because I'm a total klutz! xD And, actually, so is Mudflap!! We're a perfect match. ^^ Zeke would be great at this, provided he had an owner without two left feet. ;)

fickla

Experienced Member
Huh. The dog should be doing the work, not you :) The lab I am raising can do this trick, although I can't say I do it that often since 73lbs is a bit much to walk on my feet! I would say the only hinder to this trick would be height of the dog vs length of your leg. But if your dog can walk in center position with no problem then I think this trick is doable for you!

Instead of trying to turn your toes in to teach him (like what works well with most dogs) you'll need to be creative and think of another way for your dog to extend his legs out to you instead of you going to him. Perhaps you can put a target on one of your shoes and work one foot at a time. Or like Tx said, you could teach him to step on while facing you first and then try to reverse it to normal.

charmedwolf

Staff member
Kratos and I have the same problem :p Him being a rather tall mastiff and I a rather short human being (I'm only 4'11") do not make a good match when trying to do cop cop. I have to stand on my tippy toes for him to be able to do peekaboo lol. He tries though and that's good enough for me.

Though I might take your idea Tx! I think he could manage backing up just fine!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Haha, I can't imagine doing copcop with a Mastiff!! xDDDD
Or maybe I can...
I can only imagine myself attempting that. I would end up like the cartoon cowboy who didn't cinch up his saddle quite tight enough--it would look something like this, with me hanging off to the side. xD (Obviously that's a bull in the picture, lol, couldn't find a horse picture that fit the image in my head!)

Ooh, another idea! What if the dog(if it's physically possible) had his paws on your feet but was crawling. Crawling copcop. :) Think that would be possible..??

charmedwolf

Staff member
Oh Tx I could only imagine! XD

For your idea, the crawling part, yes, not some much the paws part. Maybe a creeping type walk that you see in herding dogs? It'd just be a more stiff type of walk.

J_Sinay

Thanks for the ideas. I really like the idea of him walking backwards with his feet on mine. This might be possible, can't wait to try!