What Flea treatment do YOU use on your dog?

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you. We have a major flea problem here, due to rodents infesting everything, everywhere. Don't like using chemicals like Frontline but have been doing so, as I HATE fleas. Now found Frontline isn't really working. Found one flea on one of my dogs, albeit half dead, but still it WAS a flea - SHUDDER!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Apple Cider Vinegar is fantastic, so will get some and try that. Or I have Lavender Pure Essential Oil here now, so will use some when grooming the boys.

rouen

Experienced Member
Because Frontline doesn't repel fleas, you're bound to find some on them. For it to work the flea has to bite, then it will die. This is why I switched to Advantix, Dingo only needs one bite to have an allergic reaction.

MaryK

Honored Member
Because Frontline doesn't repel fleas, you're bound to find some on them. For it to work the flea has to bite, then it will die. This is why I switched to Advantix, Dingo only needs one bite to have an allergic reaction.
I didn't know that ugh! Does that mean the fleas can still breed in my home?:eek:

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
I didn't know that ugh! Does that mean the fleas can still breed in my home?:eek:
well if they 'eat' (feed on dog or cat blood, of course you need to treat both) they will die, so breeding isn't easy. If you start Frontline or Advantage while your animals are infested, treat for at least 3-6 months, monthly, to catch any emerging offspring as they hatch. Make sure to treat the cats too! Cats will harbor the fleas if you treat only the dogs.

MaryK

Honored Member
well if they 'eat' (feed on dog or cat blood, of course you need to treat both) they will die, so breeding isn't easy. If you start Frontline or Advantage while your animals are infested, treat for at least 3-6 months, monthly, to catch any emerging offspring as they hatch. Make sure to treat the cats too! Cats will harbor the fleas if you treat only the dogs.
Thank you. Fortunately neither of these two dogs have ever been infested, or really had fleas that is why I was so shocked. but good to know because a stray I picked up a while back was infested. Always like to know what to do as I just cannot abide fleas! *HUGE SHUDDERS*) I understand that my home will not become a five star flea hotel. Phew! I vac etc. all the time, one because I do worry about fleas breeding, and two because the cats shed like crazy and I hate a dirt, dust and fluff balls flying around.

Cats are also treated (much to their total disgust they hate it for some reason) with the cat Frontline even though they're both inside cats.