What Flea treatment do YOU use on your dog?

sara

Staff member
I have a fantastic, PERFECT, and 100% effective way to keep fleas off your dog. First, you pack up all your furniture, dogs, and family members, put everyone and everything into a MOVING truck, drive to central/northern Alberta or Saskatchewan, live HERE! LOL we do not have Fleas, or Heartworm, and I've never had a tick on my dogs.

about Demodectic Mange, it is a mite that lives on every dog, it's only when the dog's immune system is compromised that the bug takes over. The cure is good, immune system boosting foods and herbs, lots of exercise, and NO VACCINATIONS while the dog is fighting off the mite. I have gone totally natural with treating demodex on my foster puppies. I experimented with 2 littermates, one was treated with Ivermectin (the drug my rescue uses) and one was treated naturally, just good food, and exercise. they recovered at the same rate, so I dont believe that ivermectin did any good at all. Scarcoptic Mange tho, totally different story.

lyka_01

Advantage flea control and Frontline flea and tick control from Pet Street Mall are effective in controlling the tick and flea on your pets. These products are both harsh to pest but gentle to your pet's sensitive skin.:)

Pets like dogs and cats are prone in having fleas and ticks because they love to roam and play outside. So it’s really important for pet owners to regularly bathe their pet using appropriate shampoo. Having fleas may also be the cause of weight loss in pets. So it’s really important to remove these bugs and their eggs.:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dog Crates, Pet Crates. 30% OFF & FREE Shipping on Pet Crates and Dog Crates

charmedwolf

Staff member
I use apple cider vinager in their water. Keeps both fleas and ticks away.

A Natural remedy for flies is to plant marigolds around anywhere you don't want flies. Sounds weird but flies don't like to be anywhere near marigolds.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Two years, still no fleas, and only 2? 3? ticks in all that time, and we do hang in deep woods pretty often, maybe he is just sort of naturally resistant to fleas. I feel sort of foolish not having any preventative going, cuz wow, what a ton of work to cure whole house and yard and cars, etc etc, if fleas do happen.

SO MUCH GREAT GREAT INFO on this thread, by everyone!!!

I find this apple cider vinegar idea very interesting, i see two different ppl recommend this, so this is daily?
Any side effects?
does it make your dog smell funny or anything?

charmedwolf

Staff member
I usually at a tad in their water whenever I refill it, mind you it's a 4 qt bowl from petsmart so obviously not a lot. No side effects from what I can tell. It also get rid of tear stains and the burnt grass in the lawn from urine. And no you can't smell it on the dog (lol I actually went up to Isis and practically inhaled her skin to check XD)

Jukes

I use Frontline and haven't yet had a problem, Jukes has never had fleas - frontline is supposed to protect him from them for three months - then the next treatment. So far so good - fingers crossed he never gets them:)

Anneke

Honored Member
I've used frontline spray for over 15 years on my last dog, who had a severe allergie to fleabites. It worked perfect! But... somehow it doesn't work anymore. In 15 years I haven't had flea's, but since Jinx came(last year) the flea's also came:mad: I can't seem to get rid of them! I've used a few other products now, and still they are there, nasty little things! Jinx also has an allergie to the bites, not as bad as Shane did fortunately, but still...
Strange though, she hardly ever has ticks. Cooper has no problems with flea's but he is a tickmagnet! They both wear a scalibor tick collar. That works ok for Cooper. He now only sometimes has ticks.
Last year I took 20 ticks of him, one hour in the woods:eek:was all that took!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Zeke is a weird dog. He has some kind of natural tick repellant--he eats the exact same food Mud does, drinks the same water, obviously lives in the same place, goes in the same backyard, etc. But he always always always has less ticks than Mud does. No clue why. This year I planted lavendar, peppermint, and rosemary in my yard, sprayed the yard with f/t stuff, and put a drop of lavendar oil on their collars about once a week. We live in the country, so even all this is not enough. They get washed with f/t shampoo once a month, and I use Pet Armor every three months. I used to use cheaper f/t monthly treatments, and believe me, there IS a difference!!! We went from having tons of ticks even with all this, to finding one or two once in a while after springing for the more expensive stuff.
I hate using chemicals, but where we live it's just not possible to completely avoid it. So if they aren't bad where you're at, then try just planting lavendar, peppermint, or rosemary, and/or try a drop of lavendar oil on their collars. Works fine if you don't have a major tick problem. Not sure about fleas; we've never had them(knock on wood).

Glad to hear about marigold repelling flies!!! Off to buy marigolds!!!!!
Neon Cowboy roses ATTRACT flies, TERRIBLY!!!! So plant them AWAY from doors, patios, etc where you DON'T want a ton of flies. Gorgeous flowers but we hate our neon cowboy for this reason.

MarciM

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Diatomaceous Earth yet. We dust with Food Grade DE at the first sign of fleas. Food grade DE is found in human food products such as wheat flour to kill small pests while in large storage facilities. Anyway, DE is not a chemical but rather 80-90% silica. It is fossilized remains of hard shelled algae. Most people think of pool cleaner/filters when they hear DE, but this is not, I repeat, NOT pool grade DE. Only use food grade!!! Order from amazon or other, I haven't found a store that carries food grade, pool grade and garden grade only.

We dust the whole house, rugs, hardwood, corners, under furniture, etc. Then we dust Ellie's crate, under, around and inside Ellie's crate. We wash all bedding, line dry, then dust with DE as it goes back into the crate. We also dust the dog. Not too much because I think it irritates her skin a bit, but mostly just in the areas where we see fleas.

Please wear a dust mask or hankercheif over your mouth and nose while applying DE. Although not harmful to humans if ingested, breathing it can irritate your lungs for several hours after breathing. ALSO, DE becomes inactive when wet, so make sure everything is dry when using or it won't kill the fleas. The silica works to cut the exoskeleton of the flea (or other hard shell bugs) effectively dehydrating them to death. We also sprinkle DE throughout the yard and garden (we are also organic farmers, thus we don't believe in using toxic chemicals, especially on our dog). DE also kills garden pests if hard shelled, but also the beneficial hard shelled insects. So we use very sparingly. Fleas cannot become immune to or resistant to DE because its not chemistry, its cutting their shells!

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted the information out there that you don't have to poison your beloved dog or your family!!

bekah1001

Honored Member
So Brody has fleas and I believe he is allergic to them as well. Last time he had fleas they were everwhere on him, nw I can't even find one. I have giving him the viniger and i heard that dawn dish soap kills the fleas but dries your dogs skin. Last time I used flea treatment on him he got really sick for a week and gotten a swollen face (but I think the swollen face was from a spider bite) I want to try the dish soap but I don't know if it would be good for him.

MarciM

So Brody has fleas and I believe he is allergic to them as well. Last time he had fleas they were everwhere on him, nw I can't even find one. I have giving him the viniger and i heard that dawn dish soap kills the fleas but dries your dogs skin. Last time I used flea treatment on him he got really sick for a week and gotten a swollen face (but I think the swollen face was from a spider bite) I want to try the dish soap but I don't know if it would be good for him.
PLEASE don't use dish soap. Definitely too drying for doggie skin. Try using Dr. Bronner's Eucalyptus Castille Soap or Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille soap. You can also find flea shampoo that don't have pyrethrins (the really toxic pesticide) in them, but we use Dr. Bronner's and it seems to work well (we can actually see some fleas jumping ship while washing!) and it doesn't dry out the skin. We are currently trying a brewer's yeast/garlic supplement from the pet store to repel fleas in the future, but it doesn't kill fleas that are currently living on the dog.

Dr Jha

My dogs are always having problems with fleas and we just can't get rid of them for ages. What in your opinion is the best flea treatment?

If everyone could post a reply that would be really excellent.

Ciao

Dear Ciao,
The best treatment I will recommend is Fipronil Spot on (Frontline) or Selamectin (Revolution). Easy, safe and Gurented...but...a bit expensive.

Dr B C Jha

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
this is first year ever ever ever that i did anything for flea/tick. He's never had fleas, never had a dog with fleas, but, we are in woods A LOT and they are chockful of ticks.
This year, the ticks are supposed to be even worse, and it seems true enough, too....YUCK!!

I put a flea/tick collar on him. It was....Hartz Ultra dog collar, cost $5....he's worn it for a few months now, swimming and everything, still seems to be working. (box said it's good for 7 months)
HIs fur covers in entirely, and i've observed no adverse effects. He had about 6 ticks:unsure: in the weeks prior, and zero ticks since i put collar on him. (i have a revulsion for ticks :censored: which there is almost no word strong enough for).

I'm really fussy about not drugging up dogs, (or humans) and i'm against over-vaccinating, avoid almost all drugs for dogs, etc etc.
sooooooooo
I never thought i'd be putting poison collars on my dog,:( but, Lymes is real common in my area. And i figured the treatments for ticks infestation and/or fleas infestation would be even more toxic than the collar would be...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yeah, no dish soap on dogs.
I use tearfree puppy shampoo, both for MY eyes,:cry: and my dog's eyes:cry: when he shakes his fur around. He is soft and shiney and neither one of us has red eyes then. If it is okay for a puppy eyeball, i figure it's gotta be gentle.

no idea which flea shampoo is good, never had a dog with fleas. (aw geeez, why'd i say that outloud, now, of course, dog will bust out in fleas..)