What Farm Dogs Gotta Do What A Farm Dogs Gotta Do!

karleee

Experienced Member
Haha,for those who don't know,i live in australia with my bordercollie/kelpie,Dazzle :D

Anyways,dazzle decided instead of walking all the way to the dam,she would take a swim in the water through with the couple of marron we have in there!

then we took some more photos (dazzle at 7 months) :D :

fly30

Experienced Member
Kelpie and border collie just in one dog !!! Waoo she must be full of energie. Beautiful girl !

karleee

Experienced Member
Kelpie and border collie just in one dog !!! Waoo she must be full of energie. Beautiful girl !
Yep,she sure has got alot of energy fly!....on our 5 acere farm,you throw a frisbee all the way down ther paddock,almost to the dam bank,and she still has time to spare when she gets down there to catch it,and this goes on for hours!

i love the bordercollie X kelpie,they make awesome agility and obedience dogs because there so smart and fast (both in speed and in the mind!) In my opinion,because they have "labradoodles" and "cockapoodles" ect,ect as actual breeds....i think they should make these guys an actual breed! (at least i wouldn't have to get her spayed to get her redgestered in the ANKC (australian national kennel council,so we can actually participate :( ). http://www.ankc.org.au/

it took a while for me to figure out the rules,but any dog (pedigree or not) without papers,must be spayed to enter :(

fly30

Experienced Member
karleee, you openend an important debate. I don't agree on crossed breeds like labradoodles and so on. What are these new breeds made for ? At the origin, each breed had a role in the human society. Now they're mainly used for company and beauty contests. And we cross breeds to create new ones for the human pleasure, I don't agree.

As far as border collies are concerned, in France, they can only be confirmed on work, not on beauty and I hope it will remain so. In Belgium, they have beauty contests for border collies : they are fat, hairy and not very good at herding. I think it's a disaster. I've only seen one kelpie at herding and I don't know how they are confirmed but from what I have seen, they are made for herading and should also remain working dogs and should be selected on these qualities.

Each breed has its quality. If we continue crossing them together, we won't get both qualities, but we'll loose the initial qualities of each one. My border collie has no paper so I decided to get her spayed. I leave reproduction to professionals who know what they are doing (let's hope they all do). There are plenty of health and genetic tests to respect to avoid severe diseases on top of doing the best working selection.
If we have such brilliant dogs, it's because some people have made a strong selection on they health, physical and mental ability to work, so that's why they are so intelligent. Let's not kill our dogs instinct in long terms.

I don't mean we shouldn't have dogs for company, but we should respect what dogs we choose for what they are. That's why I go herding with Fly and I don't regret it. You said it yourself : smart and fast, both in speed and mind. Not everybody can handle that. And as border collies tend to be very fashionable at the moment, a big amoung of them end up in refuges because people say they can't cope with their destructive dog (who is lacking mental activities in fact). And kelpies seem to be an even more difficult dog to have at home and you have to know the breed before making a choice.

Anyway, Dazzle doesn't seem to lack activity and have a very pleasant living environment, and she looks very happy. Can you imagine her in an appartement in the city waiting for you to come home in the evening ? That's also why they try to keep control on breeding.

karleee

Experienced Member
karleee, you openend an important debate. I don't agree on crossed breeds like labradoodles and so on. What are these new breeds made for ? At the origin, each breed had a role in the human society. Now they're mainly used for company and beauty contests. And we cross breeds to create new ones for the human pleasure, I don't agree.

As far as border collies are concerned, in France, they can only be confirmed on work, not on beauty and I hope it will remain so. In Belgium, they have beauty contests for border collies : they are fat, hairy and not very good at herding. I think it's a disaster. I've only seen one kelpie at herding and I don't know how they are confirmed but from what I have seen, they are made for herading and should also remain working dogs and should be selected on these qualities.

Each breed has its quality. If we continue crossing them together, we won't get both qualities, but we'll loose the initial qualities of each one. My border collie has no paper so I decided to get her spayed. I leave reproduction to professionals who know what they are doing (let's hope they all do). There are plenty of health and genetic tests to respect to avoid severe diseases on top of doing the best working selection.
If we have such brilliant dogs, it's because some people have made a strong selection on they health, physical and mental ability to work, so that's why they are so intelligent. Let's not kill our dogs instinct in long terms.

I don't mean we shouldn't have dogs for company, but we should respect what dogs we choose for what they are. That's why I go herding with Fly and I don't regret it. You said it yourself : smart and fast, both in speed and mind. Not everybody can handle that. And as border collies tend to be very fashionable at the moment, a big amoung of them end up in refuges because people say they can't cope with their destructive dog (who is lacking mental activities in fact). And kelpies seem to be an even more difficult dog to have at home and you have to know the breed before making a choice.

Anyway, Dazzle doesn't seem to lack activity and have a very pleasant living environment, and she looks very happy. Can you imagine her in an appartement in the city waiting for you to come home in the evening ? That's also why they try to keep control on breeding.
i agree,in my opinion....these so called "breeds"are nothing but crosses.these so called "breeds"have only been classified as a breed in the last few years,and were only made breeds to look pretty and just sit there,where actual reconised breeds such as bordercollies ect have been around for many many (1 000's) year and have all originated for a sertain perpose,bordercollies as herders,dalmation as carrage gaurd dogs,beagles as hunters,ect ect i think people NEED to do there reserch before they buy a dog,and should buy them just because they look good,or a the "in thing",and get them home and find that they arn't a kind of dog that is going to just sit on your lap and watch T.V with you.This in my opinion,is where half the shelter dogs come from.

and i couldn't even think of what dazzle would be like in an apartment.she has a perpose at our home....she helps bring in the cows and is also training as an agility and obedeince dog AND a companion :D

i think we should keep what the breed originated for as why we have them....many beagles are still used for hunting hounds,bordercollies and other herders still herd,but WITH THIER PERPOSE they are still companions at the end of the day.

i understand some people can't look after an active dog 24/7,but then that oviosly isn't the right dog for them,i love my dog,both companion,compitition and working dog,and everybody on this forum does-so i hope i havn't offended anyone with this-so,what im getting at really is, IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME FOR AN ACTIVE DOG FOR BOTH MENTAL AND PYSICAL EXERSISE,IT ISN'T THE RIGHT DOG FOR YOU
i have nothing against dogs as companions,but maybe people should consider the breed first (sorry if it does sound quirky,i'm only 12 :p )

fly30

Experienced Member
Are you really only 12 ? This is good reflexion and I fully agree (and I'm 44 :p).
And I love to read this :
and i couldn't even think of what dazzle would be like in an apartment.she has a perpose at our home....she helps bring in the cows and is also training as an agility and obedeince dog AND a companion :D
Your Dazzle has a very busy life and she certainly is a very happy dog.

karleee

Experienced Member
yep,i'm only 12,but i havn't ever had dog training lessons or any help,just picked it up myself i guess! (i've been training since i was 8,with my beagle,may she R.I.P)