What Dog Food Do You Feed

xsara

We eat Nutro Choice. We tried many brands but this one suits us best. Sometimes we mix it with other brands because Xsara is a little spoiled and doesn't want to eat the same food all the time, which I kinda understand :)

CollieMan

Experienced Member
We feed a food called Burns. We chose it for its solid reputation, natural and wholesome ingredients, for the fact it's developed by a vet, and because despite it being all of these things, it's actually quite cost-effective when all things are considered.

drivingtenacity

I feed Zena Beneful. When I first got her, I tried several natural, vet recommended, pricey brands, and ended up giving every single bag to my sister to feed to her dog, because Zena wouldn't eat them.
Beneful is the only food I've tried sofar that she'll eat more than two bites of.

leema

I feed based on a prey model diet. Approximately 10% bone, 10% organs, and 80% meat. I think this is the most appropriate meal for dogs because it's what their wolf-ancestors would be eating. :)

storm22

Experienced Member
where do you get that from leema its soinds interesting

i feed my dog pro plan in morn and dog roll at night or a bone depends if i have enough bones (farm kill) for him he goes through bones fast he loves them

leema

Ultimately, I would just get whole animals and dump it in the backyard for my dogs. Unfortunately, neither moderate their eating so would end up as bloated masses if I was to do this, so I have to portion up whole animals.

But I do things on the cheap. I buy any meats on sale for less than $4 a kilo. Chicken wings, necks, livers, drumsticks. Turkey drumsticks, necks. Lamb necks, 'offcuts', hearts, livers, kidneys. Beef liver. Pig hooves. These are some of the things I have bought. ;) The only thing NOT to feed is the femurs of large animals - e.g. cow femurs, as these bones are stronger than dog teeth and can shatter the dog's teeth.

So far I have mostly got stuff from the supermarket, but the pet shop near by has some items (mostly meaty bones) for a fair price, and I am going to try the butcher nearby as I have seen him advertising specials which beat the supermarket. ;) But my boyfriend has laid down the law - no more meat in the freezer until it's cleared out! ... I'm vegetarian too, so all the meat in our freezer is dog food!