What Do You Think? (yellow Ribbon)

Dlilly

Honored Member
I think it's a cool idea, but the dog owners who are causing the problem won't know what it means, or will ignore it. Apparently, this has gotten a ton of attention by the media. A lot of my non-dog training friends on Facebook are sharing it. I've also heard that there is a good amount of people using the yellow ribbon. (y)

I'm going to put this on Rory's leash, but I'm still going to be a ninja. (If you think I'm crazy for calling myself a ninja, check this out!- CLICK) This will only be useful when I go to the park though since people just let their dogs roam here. :mad:

MaryK

Honored Member
Very good idea, same principal as tying a red ribbon to a horse's tail if they are known to kick.

Have to agree with Dlily about people's understanding. Haven't seen it at all here but then I don't watch a lot of t.v. so it MAY have been shown.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Great idea in theory - altho those who need to know about it will be the very ones who remain clueless. :confused: I hope it catches on.

In the sport of Nosework we use a red bandana. It's widely known (and is even printed in the official rules) that any dog wearing a red bandana is a "reactive dog" (be it to people, other dogs, or both) and are to be given space. In the judges briefing at the beginning of the trial, the host will always remind everyone about "red bandanas", and they make jokes about the people wearing them (cuz some people wear them instead of putting them on their dogs). Ya know - some people can be more dangerous than the dog will ever dream of being! :mad::eek::LOL:

Dogster

Honored Member
Great idea!!! :) Guess it's not catching on here cuz they're aren't any dogs with it on the leash. Hope it does catch on, and hopefully my dog will understand what it means.:rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
I think they would work better here, as I've not seen anything so far about yellow ribbons. And WOOOHOOO they ship internationally. Also checked out the doggy Tee and it's in all sizes, so one to fit my boy!

Puppylove

I think it's a cool idea, but the dog owners who are causing the problem won't know what it means, or will ignore it. Apparently, this has gotten a ton of attention by the media. A lot of my non-dog training friends on Facebook are sharing it. I've also heard that there is a good amount of people using the yellow ribbon. (y)

I'm going to put this on Rory's leash, but I'm still going to be a ninja. (If you think I'm crazy for calling myself a ninja, check this out!- CLICK) This will only be useful when I go to the park though since people just let their dogs roam here. :mad:

I totally agree....

The dog training club I go to give out green collars if the dog is dog reactive/aggressive and orange collars if the dog is human reactive/aggressive...There's a huge sign at the registration desk, everyone must sign in at the registration desk prior to every class....so the sign is very visible. The chief instructor or the club president also reminds everyone about the collars via the megaphone every week yet there's always so dill that won't pay attention and get to close to the dogs wearing these collars...

There's always one.....

sara

Staff member
This is getting around, and the more we share it and educate, the more well known it'll be. there will always be idiots, but hopefully it can cut down on the amount of people who approach us. So share on FB (there's a lady in my city who has started a fb group and such for education purposes) and share on forums (all forums, they dont have to be dog forums, everyone needs to know!) and dont be afraid to talk to people about it!