What Do You Think About Teaching A Dog To Carry His Own Poo Bag?

milesfullofsmiles

I saw another dog carrying his own poo bag yesterday when I took miles out for a walk; it was so cute! I'm thinking of teaching it to Miles, and it even sorta goes with the "clean up your toys" trick (which I'm teaching him right now), because he would have to "hold it".What do you think about this trick? Do your dogs know how to do it?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
<---this dog has no idea how to carry anything in his mouth for his entire walk, and couldn't be trusted to do so, cuz if it is hot outside, he pants, so he'd drop it.:rolleyes: Is also a good chance he'd drop it when he stops to sniff fire hydrants, etc.
:ROFLMAO:

<----but his owner ;) loves the concept! Keep us posted if you try it!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OHhh, you mean the dog is carrying the bag WITH POO IN IT???:confused:

ohhhh......
nah, i worked so so so hard to get my dog to STOP eating poo,:ROFLMAO: i am not sure if he'd resume up his old "Poo is delicious" habit all over again!!:censored:

i'd have to do some kind of St Bernard "under the chin" container for it! rofl!!
PoopDawg....
poop dog.png

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
....how in the world do you get one photo to be on top of another photo?:eek: asked the person who has to draw every freakin thing....what program do YOU use?

Dogster

Honored Member
Guess what I used.... PAINT!!!!:ROFLMAO:
I make two paint documents, and I cropped a picture on one, then copy-pasted it on the other paint with Buddy's picture on it.:)

milesfullofsmiles

<---this dog has no idea how to carry anything in his mouth for his entire walk, and couldn't be trusted to do so, cuz if it is hot outside, he pants, so he'd drop it.:rolleyes: Is also a good chance he'd drop it when he stops to sniff fire hydrants, etc.
:ROFLMAO:

<----but his owner ;) loves the concept! Keep us posted if you try it!!
I actually never thought of that! Since its hot, he may start to pant and drop it....
I have no idea what would happen if that were the situation:unsure:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"Since its hot, he may start to pant and drop it....
I have no idea what would happen if that were the situation:unsure:"//

well, maybe you could have it be a spring/fall or wintertime trick?
Maybe all dogs don't pant like mine does in hot weather..... I now recall Anneke once posted an adorable video of her dog carrying home a box of cookies she had just bought at the store, as they walked home.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
I have to be honest, I don't think it's very nice to make a dog carry a bag of his own feces (or anyone else's feces). It's right under their nose, and it goes in their mouth. I think it can be done, but I'd rather carry a poo bag in my hand (far from my nose and mouth, and his nose and mouth) for a mile than make him put a bag of poo in his mouth, stuffed right under his nose, for any length of time :unsure:

milesfullofsmiles

//"Since its hot, he may start to pant and drop it....
I have no idea what would happen if that were the situation:unsure:"//

well, maybe you could have it be a spring/fall or wintertime trick?
Maybe all dogs don't pant like mine does in hot weather..... I now recall Anneke once posted an adorable video of her dog carrying home a box of cookies she had just bought at the store, as they walked home.
Yeah, that's probably what we'll have to do.

milesfullofsmiles

Also, I've been trying to work with Miles on "hold it", but he throws fits and gets impatient when I ask him to hold a toy before I give him the treat. Maybe I should wait till he gets older for "Clean up your Toys?" I think he wants to drop the toy so he can have the treat in his mouth as soon as possible. He holds it sometimes, but will jump around and grunt and quickly throw it to the floor impatiently, expecting the treat. Does this trick require to much patience, which he, as a puppy, doesn't really have yet?

milesfullofsmiles

I have to be honest, I don't think it's very nice to make a dog carry a bag of his own feces (or anyone else's feces). It's right under their nose, and it goes in their mouth. I think it can be done, but I'd rather carry a poo bag in my hand (far from my nose and mouth, and his nose and mouth) for a mile than make him put a bag of poo in his mouth, stuffed right under his nose, for any length of time :unsure:
Well, I've also been looking into a doggy backpack. They look so cute, and you can just hang or place the poo bag in the backpacks compartment...Plus, it would probably fulfill his need for exercise when we go on walks, with the little bit of added weight. I would want to wait until he got a little older, though, just to make sure nothings to heavy for him. He's so skinny! :LOL:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"I think he wants to drop the toy so he can have the treat in his mouth as soon as possible."//

See, i had the box RIGHT UNDER MY DOG'S MOUTH, so he could NOT miss. Soon as that toy hit the bottom of the box, CLICK/TREAT.
I handed the toy TO my dog, (at first) and i began with toys he already liked to have in his mouth,
when dog drops toy--->toy goes into BOX, yay!
see? dog does not reeeeally have to "hold" the toy, train him to drop the toy INTO the box.

Overtime, i began to move the box a bit to the side,
so now, Buddy has to turn his head to drop the toy in.

Overtime, day by day, i began to lower my hand holding the toy, lower,
and lower, so Buddy is reaching down to get the toy, to drop in the box, which is a bit to his side.

Overtime, in next lessons, i began to have my hand on the floor next to the toy, (instead of holding the toy) and now Buddy is now picking toy up off of the floor,
and
overtime, day by day,
i began to move the toybox over enough that Buddy now has to take a step to drop toy into box.

After he got that far, we progressed day by day, til Buddy is now taking two steps, or three steps, to drop toy in.
Then, i faded my hand next to toy, and
then, i faded my own self to being across the room, overtime.

slowly advancing along, so dog is moving to get the toy,
and also moving to drop toy into box,
BUT THIS TRICK IS SUPER EASY *IF* YOU START WITH TOYBOX RIGHT UNDER THE DOG'S MOUTH!!:ROFLMAO: That way, the dog can NOT miss!:LOL:

the dog does not much have to "hold" a toy, really. Focus on rewarding your dog dropping that toy into the box, and advance from there!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"I would want to wait until he got a little older, though, just to make sure nothings to heavy for him. "//

good plan:D , not all dogs need doggie backpacks, at all, and i do not think puppies need them at all.

There are limits to what % of an adult dog's body weight he can be allowed to carry, but, i've forgotten what that % is, but someone here does know. but, that'd be for an adult dog, imo, not a baby dog.
your adult dog might not ever ever need a backpack, either. Not all dogs need added weight to satisfy their need to exercise. Not all dog bodies are well designed to carry add'l weight on their backs, either.

milesfullofsmiles

//"I think he wants to drop the toy so he can have the treat in his mouth as soon as possible."//

See, i had the box RIGHT UNDER MY DOG'S MOUTH, so he could NOT miss. Soon as that toy hit the bottom of the box, CLICK/TREAT.
I handed the toy TO my dog, (at first) and i began with toys he already liked to have in his mouth,
when dog drops toy--->toy goes into BOX, yay!
see? dog does not reeeeally have to "hold" the toy, train him to drop the toy INTO the box.

Overtime, i began to move the box a bit to the side,
so now, Buddy has to turn his head to drop the toy in.

Overtime, day by day, i began to lower my hand holding the toy, lower,
and lower, so Buddy is reaching down to get the toy, to drop in the box, which is a bit to his side.

Overtime, in next lessons, i began to have my hand on the floor next to the toy, (instead of holding the toy) and now Buddy is now picking toy up off of the floor,
and
overtime, day by day,
i began to move the toybox over enough that Buddy now has to take a step to drop toy into box.

After he got that far, we progressed day by day, til Buddy is now taking two steps, or three steps, to drop toy in.
Then, i faded my hand next to toy, and
then, i faded my own self to being across the room, overtime.

slowly advancing along, so dog is moving to get the toy,
and also moving to drop toy into box,
BUT THIS TRICK IS SUPER EASY *IF* YOU START WITH TOYBOX RIGHT UNDER THE DOG'S MOUTH!!:ROFLMAO: That way, the dog can NOT miss!:LOL:

the dog does not much have to "hold" a toy, really. Focus on rewarding your dog dropping that toy into the box, and advance from there!!
Thanks!!!! I'll definitely be trying that!

milesfullofsmiles

//"I would want to wait until he got a little older, though, just to make sure nothings to heavy for him. "//

good plan:D , not all dogs need doggie backpacks, at all, and i do not think puppies need them at all.

There are limits to what % of an adult dog's body weight he can be allowed to carry, but, i've forgotten what that % is, but someone here does know. but, that'd be for an adult dog, imo, not a baby dog.
your adult dog might not ever ever need a backpack, either. Not all dogs need added weight to satisfy their need to exercise. Not all dog bodies are well designed to carry add'l weight on their backs, either.
Yeah, still considering if I will or won't get him one...
But I do know that Corgis can be SUPER muscular.
When I had Tod, we took a 1-2 hour walk every single day. He was in realllllly good shape, and could go several miles. So maybe first I'll just work up to him being a very athletic, strong dog, and then try a backpack MAYBE. :)