What Are Your Dog's Feet Like?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I think Brody's feet are quite typical for a Border Collie, but he has very long hair growing up between his toes. Since he is of unknown parentage, I am curious as to what breeds have this feature. I have seen this kind of thing in some small dogs, but not in larger ones. I have been trying to take a picture of them, but he is very suspicious of any gadget coming close to his feet!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
What exactly do you mean by long hair growing between his toes? I'll have to check, but I think Chloe's fur might be longer between her toes....

southerngirl

Honored Member
Missy, who I think is a Border Collie/lab has fur on her feet as in between the pads. Just a few weeks ago I cut the fur to be even with the pads because the fur is always getting dirty.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Sorry, I would post a photo, but he really won't let me get near his feet with a camera! The hair growing between his toes is long and sticks up on the top of his feet, especially the back ones. I can tuck it in, but it comes back out again. I was wondering if this is common, but people just trim it so you don't see it often.

Amateur

Experienced Member
Hank has hairy toes too ( so did my previous dog, ) )... I cut the fur btw the pads too because it gets dirty, holds the ice, and I think must be slippery in the floor. I just cut it to be in line with the pads . Dont really bother with on top as much, but I am lazy. Zoe is the teflon dog and nothing sticks to her.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Hank has hairy toes too ( so did my previous dog, ) )... I cut the fur btw the pads too because it gets dirty, holds the ice, and I think must be slippery in the floor. I just cut it to be in line with the pads . Dont really bother with on top as much, but I am lazy. Zoe is the teflon dog and nothing sticks to her.
What breeds are they?

Amateur

Experienced Member
old dog: shep x collie, retriever x ?, hank: total mix of everything but retriever ... all with hairy toes
zoe border x lab x chihuahua = teflon

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Golden Retrievers have long hair between their toes but it is generally trimmed.

http://morningsagegoldens.freeservers.com/Grooming2.html
Thanks so much! This all but confirms my suspicion that Brody is part Golden Retriever. He is much more "fringy" than most BCs and his tail has a full circle curl to it. He also has more of a "golden" look to his eyes, as you can see in the avatar... he never gets that intense BC look!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
old dog: shep x collie, retriever x ?, hank: total mix of everything but retriever ... all with hairy toes
zoe border x lab x chihuahua = teflon
I always love how those miniature breeds sneak in there with the larger ones. I would assume it's usually the female (poor thing!)?

brody_smom

Experienced Member
In my world that dog came no where near my dogs amount of hairiness
The article said the dog had been trimmed 3 weeks before. Brody is much hairier as well. And no way would he let me get near his toes with scissors! I can't even take a close up photo!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Wow, those are hairier than Brody's. He just has these cute fluffy tufts sticking up between his toes. Do you normally trim them?
Yeah, we normally have them trimmed so they look all neat and tidy but we are obviously long over due on that! ;)

Honored Member
I'm going to trim Lewis' feet tonight, I'll take a picture before and after (although they arn't too hairy compared to when we got him, I trim his feet regularly - on the top and on the bottom).
I don't trim Holly's feet but I'll take a photo of them too for you.

Maybe Brody is part Pomeranian if he has hairy feet and a curly tail :LOL:

Honored Member
Here's Lewis' feet before and after trimming (I know it's not perfect but it looks a bit neater, I don't like them with long hair sticking out):

Here's Holly's (this was before her grooming, but I don't trim anything on her, just brush it):

And here's a photo of Lewis from not long after we got him. I can't remember if I had trimmed his feet at all by the time it was taken but I suspect, by looking at how long the fur is, that I had not:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Okay, so here's the next question. What color are the pads and nails? All four of Brody's feet have white hair. Some of his toe pads are pink, some are black, others pink and black. All of his nails are colorless except for the pinky toes on his front paws, both of which are black.