We're new!

dog lover

Hi,

My name is Susan and, my newest companion is Rinja....a 5 month old German Shepherd. We also have a 6 year old English Mastiff whose name is Noble.

I have really enjoyed meandering through this website. So much to see and, so much to learn. I know it will be great fun for both of us. We are going to need the help! lol

I know I have quite a challenge on my hands as this puppy is much smarter than I am. So far, we have learned to sit, down, walk on loose lead (almost a decent 'heel') to 'watch me' and to 'speak'. Although she does these things well, she still has the attention span of a gnat. Hopefully, this is just the 'puppy brain' syndrome and will improve with time. I am having a bit of difficulty teaching her how to learn to calm herself. Any hints or suggestions would be more than appreciated. She is forever in the 'alert mode' and, I want her to enjoy learning.

Training our mastiffs over the years was a completely different ball game, as they are usually born with a guilt complex and are not as speedy. Rinja is 90 mph which made me wonder if perhaps there might be a bit of Border Collie somewhere? I'm sure there isn't but, she has that kind of energy level. She never misses anything and is always on alert for new sounds, bugs, leaves, people, anything that moves, breathes or simply exists,etc.

Am looking forward to being a member of this group and learning as much as I can about her and how to train her in a manner that we will both enjoy. She's a cutie!

sarhaspups

Welcome! Congrats on the new baby. They can keep ya pretty busy, huh. :)
My baby is 1 now and he is still very much a puppy (border collie)
You can teach her 'park it' which would mean that she goes to her bed or a mat, place of peace when you want her to settle down. Start this off by clicking/treating for her being on the mat and then slowly start sending her to the mat at short distances (only rewarding for laying down on the mat), then build up duration. You could use any command you want, settle, mat, park it... ect.
If someone else has a better way of treaching it or add anything please do. Any questions let me know. :)
Good luck and Welcome!
Sarha

dog lover

Park it!

What a great idea! Thanks so much. Since we also have a mastiff, their beds are huge. (36-54) I thought about looking for a lightweight smaller rug or mat so she learns to 'park' it on a more movable 'bed'. One that I can put in a different place or take with me when we go to visit, etc. Would you suggest doing something like that or should it only be taught on the bed she now has? I am finding it a bit of a challenge to work with her as much as I would like because we have two dogs, and the weather has been gruesome this winter. Bitter cold for southwestern Va. and seems to be constantly raining. ugh. A challenge for training sometimes. This new idea is something we can work on inside. Again, thanks. susie

sarhaspups

Your very welcome! It is a very useful tool but takes some time to really let them get the idea that they are to settle on the mat. It is actually a fantastic idea to take it anywhere with you! You should get something light weight and not big, just big enough for her body. Then when you go somewhere and she needs to settle you can pull out the mat and she should know that means settle down. I have not mastered this trick. It takes a lot of work but it is worth it in the end. Definantely something you can work well in the house. :) Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!
Sarha

sarhaspups

Also, remember to start at home and master it there before moving it to other places. I would suggest slowly taking it to other places so she succeeds , places she is already comfortable at.... know what I mean? And I would make the duration short when taking it to high active places at first and make the time longer graduately then also? I guess it depends on your dog and how she reacts to stuff but that is what I would do. :)

Sarha

zcoonhound

Hi Susan,
Welcome to the Academy! You have definately come to the place to discover new things to do with your babies. All the members here are so helpful and willing to share solutions. I would love to hear your stories on training the Mastiff. My son wants one. He is stationed at Fort Drum New York and is currently looking for a Mastiff. Any suggestions on training issues?

stormi

Hi,

What an interesting mix of breeds :dogsmile: I hope you have lots of fun on this site, and that Rinja enjoys learning some new moves.