Well, Now I've Seen It With My Own Eyes!

threenorns

i've known dandy's been using the cat box for quite a long time - it's quite unmistakable, as the "clump" is more like a "shield" across the top of the litter, not a solid ball like when the cats go but i've never actually seen him do it.

this morning, he tried to get me up out of bed but my gallbladder's acting up and i couldn't move. he didn't make a big deal but the door was open so i had a good "sliced" view of him going to the cat box in the furnace room, ***scratching at it***, then casually cocking his leg!

wish i had a camera handy!

MaryK

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: That's just so funny! Such a clever boy, so considerate, a true gentledog!!!!!!!!!

Now if only Dandy could teach my boy Zeus to USE the kitty litter instead of eating the contents!:rolleyes:

brody_smom

Experienced Member
When we first got our kittens 3 years ago, I had no idea dogs did this. I was worried that they hadn't pooped for 2 days straight, until I caught our dog having herself a little snack. We keep the covered box under a little table in a corner with the opening facing the wall. It is just far enough from the wall that the cats can access it but the dog can't.

threenorns

i was going to do that until i learned that dog eat poo ... because they like it. yes, it's true: dogs are coprophagic.

i just consider it a "win" in the "not having to deal with it myself" column although - here's something to consider: your dog might be doing it to protect the littles. dandy doesn't chow down much any more but when cooper was a baby, dandy was at it ALL the time and would even bowl cooper onto his back to give his butt a sniffing and a cleaning if needed.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
I was told that cat poop is like candy to dogs because of the high protein content, since cat's don't digest their food very well. I can't quite bring myself to let him eat it, much as I hate doing the scooping. And he won't leave me alone when I do it either. He has to have his big fluffy head right in the way the whole time while I'm attempting to ward him off with my elbows while holding a scooper full of poop!

Our cats are 3 years old and Brody gives their butts some serious sniffing. I'm surprised at how well they tolerate it. He doesn't do any cleaning, though.

threenorns

nah - that's a myth. dogs eat poop - all kinds of poop. if they don't eat it, they roll in it. they don't have the body function hang-ups humans do. cats don't digest commercial food very well - no pet does - but they digest raw meat (which is their sole natural diet, being obligate carnivore unlike dogs) very handily. i feed my cats 100gr of raw meat daily and their poops are about the size of a lipstick case if there's bone, half that if not.

LOL @ his big fluffy head - that's why i caved. it was getting ridiculous: "sniff... sniff.. oh NO!!! where's the scoop!!!? dandy, DON'T YOU DARE!!!... too late".

he doesn't clean cooper any more either - just sniffs. he only cleans when it's kittens and babies (he also is the reason i stopped using baby wipes: i noticed if i used the wipes, he would flatten her down to the ground with a paw, give her butt a good sniffing, then GLARE at me. finally he resorted to ripping the diaper off her completely which is when i realized he never did that when i had to bathe her after a diaper blow-out. penny dropped, i started washing her with soap and water, he stopped knocking her down and her diaper rashes stopped, too.