Weed killers for dog's lawns?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Is there any safe or natural weed-killers for lawns that dogs can safely run around on? Or, is it possible to use ordinary weed killer and wait________how long til dog can go on the grass?:dogph34r:

Do you all worry about weed killers on park lawns or what? Do you wash their feet off afterwards or what? Anyone got any weedkiller nightmare stories i should hear?:dogtongue:

snooks

Experienced Member
I use no weed killers on my yard. Many are carcinogenic, and some though after dry are supposed to be safe are not what you would let an infant crawl in. When forced by fire ants or fleas I did do local treatments but fenced it off for weeks. Exposure to diazanon, malthion, and other pest products is just dangerous period. Weed killers and weed and feed I do not use, fertilizer I carefully screen, use organic, water in well, and keep dogs off for a long time. I pulled weeds and kept the grass well watered to combat weeds. I also resodded part of the yard when we moved for less cost than all that weed spray.

I no longer spray for roaches or bugs but do use boric acid which is safe enough to mammals to use as eye wash. It is quite toxic to bugs. Seal all points of entry into your home or have someone do it that knows how. The smallest holes are easy entries. I also do not use swiffer or floor cleaners which are pretty dangerous (vinegar & water only), glade or like plug ins, or let dogs near potpourri, or other cleansers. Brushing boric acid powder into your carpet if you have a flea issue keeps them at bay for over 10 years and is very safe. Google any of this stuff and research for yourself to be sure you agree before pursuing. Many of the poisons are also human neuro-toxic so be aware you can expose yourself and later develop neurologic illness and other issues 10-20 years down the road.

As for parks I usually avoided any area I suspected might be sprayed and stuck to the natural areas where I could help it. I also do not walk my dog in wet gutters where other people's yard poison can run off or allow them in other yards or runoff areas since you have no idea when they sprayed. Mostly school play grounds where young kids play, but off hours are much less poisoned than regular parks. I do wash my dogs feet esp with all the road salt up here and have a paw dip station since running water or a bucket is much better at removing things than a wipe with a wet towel.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Thanks!! Hey, you DO use fertilizers on your lawn? Which one is okay for dogs? You can PM me if you want.
I never even thought of the wet gutters...!! Makes sense!

Love the paw-station idea!!:msngrin:

snooks

Experienced Member
Hi Tigerlily, sorry to be slow. I managed to slice my finger open cutting up dog training treats so typing has been slowed for a couple of days. DUH! I hate when I do that, and I've done it a few times too many. :dognowink:

Here's an example of some of the carcinogen warnings about pesticides and fertilizer
http://www.ecochem.com/t_lawnchemicals_pet.html

Properly processed organic fertilizers like manure and composted matter don't stink and are safe for your dogs. Many zoos now compost various animal waste to safe clean fertilizer. You might need to call around to find sources for kid and pet safe products. Many places are now making them more available because of the huge outcry about childhood poisonings.

There are other alternatives here http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/Dogs-digesting-lawn-grass.htm http://www.blueseal.com/lawncare/safensimple.php

Purdue did some serious testing about lawn food and safe pets so you could dig around in Google with those key words. I didn't care so much about a lush lawn in my back yard but we had a hearty st augustine grass which choked most weeds out if well watered and not stressed. Resodding part of the yard when I moved was worth it. :dogtongue2:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THANKS so much!!!!!!
Oh, hey, i'm only in here off and on at times myself!! Every coupla days i come in here and read everything --i get all caught up reading all this interesting stuff---and THEN i post it all up so that almost the whole portal is me and Buddy, :msnblushing::dogrolleyes:

GOOD LUCK with treat-chopping....If your treats are soft enuff--maybe it's time for one of those cheese-wires + board it's attached to..?:dogsmile:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Just rereading this, it's time! thought i'd post on it, to help alert any other dog owners who are aoout to weed-n-feed their lawns....THANKS AGAIN, SNOOKS!!!