Walking On Hind Legs

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I was considering teaching Buddy to walk on his hind legs. I've seen videos of dogs doing this trick. Does anyone know if this trick is safe for the dog, does it cause any damage to their hips or back or anything ?
Has anyone here taught this particular trick?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Buddy is fairly muscular dog, not a really slim dog, like some dogs are. He does not have an ounce of fat on him, but he is a solid and muscley 50 lb dog, if that matters, regarding any potential health risks..
he is very slightly longer in length, (his back) than he is tall, (his legs) when viewed from the side, *almost* a square in proportions, but not quite.

fly30

Experienced Member
I had started teaching this to Fly but she hurt her back because of this trick so I'll give up. We're up to skateboarding at the moment :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Thank you for reply, Fly, that settles it then, i am not going to attempt this trick with Buddy then...i wondered if it was too much of a strain for some dog body-types. Hope your dog heals fast and completely.

sara

Staff member
Scout does this trick... she LOVES bouncing around on her back legs :) But I only do it for a few steps. This vid shows her approx the longest she ever does.

She is slightly over weight, and approx 25 lbs, but she has seriously long legs, and a short back... built kinda like a poodle (not that she has any in her)

The walking on hind legs is right at the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNexJY1Q8OE

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Great video, nice work, Sara! love the music, too! AWESOME DOGS!!
maybe the hind-leg walking is okay for some dog body-types, but, too much for other dog-body types....?

sara

Staff member
Buddy is an Adult, and if he has no hip problems than it's ok to see if he can or wants to. Stop if you notice anything, but I cant see how a few seconds now and than could hurt... He jumps does he not? He is strong and muscular, so he should be fine to try. I mean look at this dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc9xq-TVyHI

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
LOL, *THAT* is the video that got me thinking, this could be a fun dog trick! ha ha!! I was not thinking i'd have him walk nearly as far as THAT, but, a few steps maybe, but, i am uncertain about straining his body in any way....
that video IS crazy, though, right? rofl! what a pair of characters! ha ha

fly30

Experienced Member
Oh Tigerlily, sorry, I misunderstood the question. I thought you meant hand stand actually. So walking on hind legs is ok for our border collies, Fly does this a lot and it's no problem. The trick that hurt Fly was hand stand. But she's ok now.

fickla

Experienced Member
I think most tricks are perfect for building your dog's balance, coordination, and muscles. Many doggy chiropractics and doggy sport vets LOVE it when dogs do tricks as they really have to stretch and build those muscles that they wouldn't otherwise be doing. The trick from going to beg-stand up-beg (squats!) without touching the ground in between is one that is often recommended as a great exercise for dogs to do.

Unless your dog has an already existing physical problem then I see no reason why you shouldn't teach this trick. That being said, I am not a fan of that dancing golden video as I think the extreme duration can be bordering the unhealthy side.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Well, then, i will try for a 2 or 3 step walk then, cuz, in truth, no one is going to brag on Buddy's balancing skills. He could use a lil help. For real, his beg, is one of the QUICKEST begs you'll ever see, if you blink, you'll miss it!! ha ha.
I should work a lil more to get that beg to last a bit longer, right. Maybe before i even start a walk trick, i need to strengthen up that beg ability first..
Plus, winter is only a month or two away, and we needs loooots of tricks to get us through the winters...
THANKS FOR ALL HELP, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT !!
i'm guessing, to get started, do i move from a beg, and lure him up a bit,
or, start in a sit, and try to lure him to stand up?

fickla

Experienced Member
The sit (or even stand) to up is easier on the dog so the trick is often started that way. But the beg-up is really good for all dogs to learn, plus going back into a beg position!

Just remember when practicing beg or up to take it easy and don't do a ton of reps and even consider giving Buddy a day off every other day as it can be hard for the dog while they're building up the strength.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THANKS FOR HELP EVERYONE!! GREAT TIPS!!
so i have JUST NOW begun to get Buddy to hold a decent 'BEG' position, just now! (i've had this dog for almost 3 years now!) rofl.
His previous "beg" was only a flash up and down, barely holding the position. Lol, his balance was so lousy, i had to put him into corner for first lessons, so he could lean against the walls to get idea, "ohhh, she wants me to stay in this position for a while eh?"
lol.
but, now Buddy is 'getting it' and also probably strengthening up his muscles used for a beg now. SO CUTE to see. He looks very proud about it.
i figured i should strenghten up his 'BEG' prior to anything else in this direction. Lol, his cue for 'BEG' is
"Buddy, wanna girlfriend?" and he begs then.:ROFLMAO: ha ha.

sara

Staff member
I had no luck teaching Oliver to beg... until I tried a target stick! Now he begs on a 3" wide beam :D We're working on duration now :cautious:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Sara, your Ollie and my Buddy seem to have many things in common! :ROFLMAO:
Funny, except for you and me, Sara,:rolleyes: i never much hear other ppl saying this 'BEG" trick was too hard for their dog to do, maybe some dog bodies are better suited to hold a beg than other dog bodies, no idea....
lol, now i sense, while watching Buddy try to hold a beg,
that he DOES now understand the concept,
but, he just can't balance for long. He tries to keep one paw on ME for balance, and CAN now hold a beg for a few seconds til he falls over, but, he 'gets it',
i can see it in his eyes, i can see him trying,
but, just doesn't yet have the balance,
or maybe lacks the muscle-strength in whatever muscles are used to hold a beg....(?)
maybe he never will be able to do this, but, he is trying !! HE IS TOO CUTE....so for now, he is getting major kudos for a few seconds of balancing himself, sort of...:ROFLMAO:
and since Buddy is NOT indicating he loathes*** this trick, we'll probably continue working on it now and then, to see if he CAN develop either the balance, or the strength to hold a beg. But so far, nothing to brag on over here! ha ha!!
(***oohhhhhh, i can so tell when Buddy dislikes a given trick, rofl, he has MOST expressive face ever:ROFLMAO: but he is NOT minding working on 'BEG' cuz he is getting major praise for his efforts and Buddy DOES live for praise, lol)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh wait, i just re-read your words, Sara, you WERE able to get Ollie to hold a beg! KUDOS! well, then, i'm even MORE inspired to keep at it!!
So, did Ollie put his front paws on the target stick, and then, slowly, overtime, you removed the target stick, is that how you did it?

sara

Staff member
Ha ha! I cannot, nor have I ever been able to teach Scout to beg though, she truly has no balance. Well, she does standing, but she cant seem to beg, I've tried everything.

No Ollie does nose touches (and sometimes nibbles :rolleyes: ) to the end of the target stick, so he reaches up with his nose, I click for feet off the ground, I increased how high, so he's in a proper beg, and now I'm increasing duration... He's up to a few seconds(y)

charmedwolf

Staff member
Kratos has a rather sloppy beg. I don't hold it against him though as his back legs tend to slip out from under him even on the carpet. He still uses me for balance however.

Isis has the greatest beg I've ever seen it's really really intense. She actually will stay forever like that and just stare at me. It's her go to trick if she wants something from the family. She is called the "Bad Dog" in the family and her cue is "Good dogs don't beg! Only Bad Dogs do!" Then she'll beg. Weird dog.

Jinx is like Ollie and Buddy however, she has no balance other than standing. She is able to get up on her hind legs and walk but she can't beg. O.o yea she is a weird one. I've tried slowly pulling her nose upwards when she is sitting but she'll just go to standing.And I'll be stuck there like "O_o wouldn't it be easier to beg?"

I have hope for you two Jean and Buddy!

running_dog

Honored Member
I've been trying to teach a standard poodle to beg. He can stand up on his hind legs really well but beg... he just falls over sideways. So I guess that beg and standing on hind legs don't necessarily go together.

Zac loves to beg, it is hard to get a sit without his paws levitating! He does fall over sideways and reduce duration to a millisecond as I increase the distance so I'm guessing that these are sometimes just stages that dogs go through conceptually. I'm sure Buddy will get there soon.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//". She is called the "Bad Dog" in the family and her cue is "Good dogs don't beg! Only Bad Dogs do!" Then she'll beg. Weird dog."//
THAT is hilarious, i wish i'd thought of that cue, too funny!