Walking after Spay

brenda taulbee

Hello all,
Kenzii went under the knife yesterday, and is now responsibly spayed. Yesterday she was groggy from the anesthetics and slept most of 24 hours. Today she's back to her old self and begging to be walked/run/hiked. I'm concerned about how much exercise she should engage in so soon after the surgery. I know she's not supposed to run, but are short walks alright for the next few days?

Any input would be awesome. Thanks guys.

ruffmuttk9z

Short walks are fine. I run a rescue myself and have spayed/neutered over 100 dogs and in all honesty, I don't restrict their activity at all. I let them do whatever they want to do and I've never had a single problem. No swimming or getting wet while sutures are still in place, though.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
brenda taulbee;12895 said:
Hello all,
Kenzii went under the knife yesterday, and is now responsibly spayed. Yesterday she was groggy from the anesthetics and slept most of 24 hours. Today she's back to her old self and begging to be walked/run/hiked. I'm concerned about how much exercise she should engage in so soon after the surgery. I know she's not supposed to run, but are short walks alright for the next few days?
Hello Brenda,

The healing process really takes only about a week or so, it might be best to reduce the activity level of your dog for that time. I would recommend that you avoid running, retrieving, jumping and playing with other dogs. ;)

You can always train her to do tricks in the meantime! ;)

The main thing to watch out for is licking of the stitches. My husky was very bad about this; the vet had given me a cone too small for her and she was able to wiggle the cone a certain way to reach the stitches. It got infected and didn't heal for 2-3 weeks. :(

brenda taulbee

Thanks everybody,
We kept her home the first two days or so, and took her for a short walk today. Honestly, I don't think she realizes the stitches are there. The vet only stitched the muscle and used a skin glue on the upper layer. Is that pretty regularly practiced? I had never heard of it before

ruffmuttk9z

Yes, glue is becoming more common. Be thankful since it doesn't require removal and the dogs have a heck of a time ripping it out, unlike stitches.