Waiting To Hear From The Vet...

DuncansMom

I took Duncan to the vet yesterday because he had been overhydrating and I read that it's important to check for Diabete's if dogs are drinking tons of water. The vet said his heart rate was suspiciously low and thought he might have Addison's disease (Duncan has also had soft stool and on and off vomiting). They took blood, urine, and fecal samples and I'm waiting to hear back. I hope they find out what's going on so we can start treatment. Apparently dogs with Addison's can randomly go into shock and die...scary. The vet thought it could also be diabetes or just a urinary tract infection.

The good news is that Duncan was very well behaved at the Vet's because of all the training we've been doing. He sat nicely and didn't bother other dogs and was very nice to the vet and vet tech.

running_dog

Honored Member
It might be encouraging for you to know that a friend of mine's dog was diagnosed with Addison's disease less than three weeks ago. Back then he was breathing so shallowly that they had to keep checking he was alive, now he's on medication, has been back to having long walks for the last couple of days, has started stealing things around the house again and is getting very much back to his usual bouncy self. They still need to check his heart is okay but he's perkier than he has been for months. The vet was so pessimistic at first that we thought the dog was going to be dead within 3 months but now with the medication he might well die of old age.

Hang in there, it is awful for you now but it won't be long before you get the diagnosis. It is great that the training held up for you at a time that was so stressful for you and Duncan. Good work!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I had an Addison's dog - he was dx'd at 4, and lived until 11 - he died of something unrelated about 4 years ago. The dx was very scary, I had never heard of it, and Sherman had gotten very sick, very quickly. He ended up in ICU and it was touch and go for several days, lost lots of weight, etc. But - once he was dx'd and they got him stabilized, he did very well. He was on a monthly injection and prednisone for the rest of his life, but you'd have never known anything was wrong just by looking, and he was his same energetic happy self he had always been.

Hang in there until you get the firm dx, altho I know that waiting is the hardest and worst part! If it is Addison's, you'll learn so much, what to watch for, etc - and you'll learn how to manage Duncan. It is very scary at first, but as with anything, the unknown is much scarier than the known. Once you become familiar with it, it isn't nearly as scary - it's a managable disease. Please don't jump to any conclusions tho - wait for word from your vet. And please keep us all posted. In the meantime, we'll be sending lots of good wishes your way, to be sure!!

DuncansMom

Hey!
I just got the phone call from the vet and all his tests were normal! Hooray! I did a happy dance and Duncan was very excited and happy and had no idea what was going on :) lol
The vet said to watch him over the weekend and call them back on Monday, but everything is probably fine.
Duncan hasn't vomited in 2 days, but his stool is still soft. I might talk to the vet about switching his food (gradually).
I think he is just drinking tons of water because it is so hot here, and we will go on shorter walks on the hottest days. Normal blood test results should rule out diabetes and everything should be good :D

Anneke

Honored Member
Great to hear it's not addisons! hope the tests for diabetes come back negative
My last dog had diabetes. When he first had symptomes, he was tested for addisons too. Luckily it was not that. He lived with diabetes for 6 years and then finally we had to let him go, 2 years ago, due to old age. Our vet called him the wonderdog, because he was so strong in overcoming all the setbacks he had. But he had a great life even with the diabetes.
A lot of people told me to put him to sleep, when he was diagnosed with diabetes, but I never regretted my decision to keep him with us. Have had to make a complete lifestyle change though:D We had no regularity in our lives, but because he needed insuline injections every day, we had to.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh, great news!! :) Maybe the heat has just gotten to Duncan and he's doing exactly what he should be doing - and that's making sure he's well-hydrated. Not sure how hot it is where you are (I know it's just blistering in some areas) but maybe it's just making him a bit sick, so he's getting enough water but his body just isn't happy with the heat (and so many aren't!). When it's really hot where I live (which thankfully isn't too often), we just skip walks altogether - mine don't do well in the heat - and opt for some nosework or tricks and/or games in the house -- or naps. :p

We're happy dancin' here for you and Duncan too!! I know you'll have a much better weekend now.... :cool:. Stay cool!!

DuncansMom

Oh, great news!! :) Maybe the heat has just gotten to Duncan and he's doing exactly what he should be doing - and that's making sure he's well-hydrated. Not sure how hot it is where you are (I know it's just blistering in some areas) but maybe it's just making him a bit sick, so he's getting enough water but his body just isn't happy with the heat (and so many aren't!). When it's really hot where I live (which thankfully isn't too often), we just skip walks altogether - mine don't do well in the heat - and opt for some nosework or tricks and/or games in the house -- or naps. :p

We're happy dancin' here for you and Duncan too!! I know you'll have a much better weekend now.... :cool:. Stay cool!!
It has been blistering hot here, and I'm sure that was why he was drinking so much. He still has some diarrhea but I have added soft beef food to his meals and I think that is helping. It is still weird that the vet thought his heart rate was too low and that he might have a heart murmur. Duncan is acting normal and seems to be in great shape.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
HOw long have you had your beloved Duncan? somehow, i got impression that Duncan was a new addition to your home, like less than a month or so. But, maybe i am wrong.
If that is the case, *Maybe* whatever it is you are feeding him, was a change from whatever he was fed in past? (just a guess, but, i know swapping out dog foods causes some dogs to have problems). Our faucet water is so intolerable, we filter it, even for the dog, ha ha!.

we've got some interesting threads on dog nutrition around here somewhere.