[Video] Ellie training in the local car park.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
This video is just another of our informal training sessions, taken this morning. It was cold, and it was damp, but it was fun too.

Interestingly, if you watch when I send her into a "Finish" walking behind me and into my left, you can see remnants of her earlier fear of my height. She stops half-way through, and hides behind my leg. She hasn't done that for a while, and she's improving each week, but it was interesting to see it through the video for a change. You'll see it takes a while for her to then pick herself back up and start enjoying herself. She's such a wuss. :) It was that which made training heel initially sooooo hard with her.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBuW_5xRmE[/media]I like to train Ellie in the car park each day as I use the painted white lines as measures of her heel-work progress.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video. Yeah she is really timid, but you can see that she was really trying to please and she didn't want to go passed you.

I think I asked in another thread but forgot where ... but did someone help you lure you onto your back when you first started the "on back" trick? Or did you clicker train that? :dogsmile: Looks cool.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
hehe You did ask before. When I really first started teaching her to jump on my back, I would lay on the floor on my belly, and click/treat over my shoulder whenever she climbed on, even if it was just in part. Then I just increased my height bit by bit.

I can now pretty much just stand and bend slightly, but I couldn't do that on the car-park in case she fell, as she's obviously much higher up when I do it that way.

I also taught her to jump up onto my arms at the same time, as it was easier for her, and I figured it would help build her confidence for jumping on my back.

Hopefully my tripod should arrive tomorrow so I want to video the "on the back" thing. (Idiots delivered my tripod to the completely wrong address yesterday. They didn't even get the right county!)

jasperaliceuk

Experienced Member
Ellies' doing so well. Would love to teach Milo to jump like that but I think that really would see my do my back in big time and I also suspect he's a tad heavier than Ellie!

Sue

snooks

Experienced Member
Very nice work---I really enjoy seeing that kind of working connection. You guys have overcome so much.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
jasperaliceuk;14456 said:
Would love to teach Milo to jump like that but I think that really would see my do my back in big time and I also suspect he's a tad heavier than Ellie!
I suspect that some cats are heavier than Ellie! :)

snooks;14457 said:
Very nice work---I really enjoy seeing that kind of working connection. You guys have overcome so much.
Thank you. We try our best. :)

maven

It looks like you're both having a great time. :) Thank you for sharing, it's nice to see training where the reward is play too.