Ummm.....help!

threenorns

i'm very anti-neuter but the risk of pyometra is insanely high! i personally know two dogs in my little town with a population of 500 in minden itself but about 5000 throughout minden hills (which encompasses minden and about a half-dozen other towns, mostly ghost towns).

the first case was a lady - her dog had a closed pyometra so by the time the lady realized her dog was deathly ill, the cost of treatment was so high that she couldn't afford it. her only options were to surrender the dog to the clinic (they treated the dog and then found a home for her) or have her euthanized.

the second case was an open pyometra but the akita mix's fur was so thick and dense that that, plus her owner being twitchy about "poking around the lady bits", meant it wasn't until she stood up and left a puddle of reeking green pus on the floor that he realized she was ill. it cost him $1800 just for the surgery plus she was hospitalized and on IV medications. he was smart enough to have pet insurance so he didn't have to foot all the bill on his own which is good cause he's on a disability pension.

if i have male dogs, i absolutely won't neuter them but if i have females, it would take some pretty compelling reasons unique to the dog for me not to have her spayed.

But spaying increases the risk for alot of other diseases and cancers. Yes, pyo and mammary cancers are at a higher risk, but hypothyroidism, bone cancers, obesity, urinary and kidney issues among others are greatly increased. Also ovaries have been linked to longevity. Nope if you can control your dog and are comfortable with thr risks, then you can spend the time to decide what you feel is best. However, if you are unable to pevent pregnancy, than please spay her.

Gracegeorgina

Experienced Member
Well, it's done! Se went in for her second injection this morning and all seems well :)
The vet said it was absolutely the right thing and that it would have been way too dangerous for her to deliver and a c section would definitely have been necessary! He's going to give her an injection BEFORE her next season which prevents her from falling pregnant so that this does not happen again (the neighbours will be warned again not to leave their dog out anyway).
Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad this is now behind us :)

Mutt

Experienced Member
Well, it's done! Se went in for her second injection this morning and all seems well :)
The vet said it was absolutely the right thing and that it would have been way too dangerous for her to deliver and a c section would definitely have been necessary! He's going to give her an injection BEFORE her next season which prevents her from falling pregnant so that this does not happen again (the neighbours will be warned again not to leave their dog out anyway).
Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad this is now behind us :)
Glad it worked out :)
May I ask way you didn't get her spayed instead of the injections?

passion4pups

Sara, has a point, there have been studies linking early spay and neutering to certain diseases. But . . . " it’s important to keep in mind that different breeds have different vulnerabilities to various diseases, and the effects of spay/neuter and when it is done very likely vary from breed to breed. The Golden Retriever findings can’t be generalized to other breeds, or dogs in general. However, in other breeds with a propensity for joint disorders and types of cancer different than those prevalent in Goldens, spaying and neutering may increase the risk for those breed-specific disease tendencies.
More breed-specific studies are needed for a full understanding of the disease conditions affected by spaying and neutering"

Every procedure has it's risks . . ( Dentals, ACL, mass removal, amputation) Just like with humans , there is a small amount of risk in everything. Spaying and neutering earlier will increase the percentages your dog may have genetically already had a predisposition to (various cancers and bone diseases). Not altering predispositions your pet to others(mammary cancer, testicular cancer, glandular diseases, uterine diseases) . . vaccinating with certain vaccines may cause or raise the risk of certain cancers later on, not vaccinating opens up the chance your dog could become seriously ill from the disease vets are trying to vaccinate against . . . it's all a numbers game and you need to stay informed!! Decide personally for yourself which risks you willing to take for your pet.

here is one of the articles against altering,
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/06/26/early-neutering-effects.aspx

One for,
http://www.dogcare.com/content/dog-health/dog-diseases-caused-unneutered-spayed

After reading that they essentially gave what is considered "the morning after" drug in humans, to Poesie, I would be researching that drug to find out about it's effects. Keep an eye on her, watch her for symptoms of heat and don't let her out of your sight or leave her unattended when she is in season to avoid this happening again