Trying To Understand Dogs Better

Ina

Hi everyone.

Well, yeah .. I am posting lot's of stuff at the moment. :rolleyes:

Reading a bit on the net I decided that I want to better understand dogs. Body language, why they behave the way they behave and how to talk dog (as in language).

Can anyone recommend a "must read"-book on this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheerio ... Ina

sara

Staff member
Dr. Stanley Coren has a good book out on the subject. Fairly basic, but a good starting off point. "How to Speak Dog" is the title.

Ina

Thanks very much. Jean also reposted the full list - lot's and lot's to read in the near future :-)

Ina

I have ordered 5 different books now .. can't wait for them to arrive ;-)

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
I really like Brenda Aloff's : Canine Body Language: A photographic Guide to interpreting the Native Language of the domestic Dog.

What books did you order and how are they?

Also here is a link to part 1 in a series of youtube posts from Jean Donaldson on dog behavior which I think is pretty good:

And here is a part 1 of a 6 part series focused on fear: I really like Trish King as well.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
All the ones mentioned are great - and Jazzy, I agree, the Trish King and Jean Donaldson videos are excellent, I've watched them before.

Another good book I read last year that I liked was "Inside of a Dog, What Dogs See, Smell, and Know" byAlexandra Horowitz.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Loved those videos, Jazzy, but, i wonder why Trish King thinks dogs do not have a cerebral cortex? wha?O_o (and since i'm being pedantic,:rolleyes: there are also fish brains, and insect brains, not just the three types of brains she listed. Bird brains are probably super similar to the reptilian brains.)

still i love love love this topic!