Trying To Understand Dogs Better

Discussion in 'Off-Topic & Chit Chat' started by Ina, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Ina Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.

Well, yeah .. I am posting lot's of stuff at the moment. :rolleyes:

Reading a bit on the net I decided that I want to better understand dogs. Body language, why they behave the way they behave and how to talk dog (as in language).

Can anyone recommend a "must read"-book on this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheerio ... Ina

2. sara Moderator

Dr. Stanley Coren has a good book out on the subject. Fairly basic, but a good starting off point. "How to Speak Dog" is the title.
  3. Ina Well-Known Member

Thanks Sara,

any more out there ???

Help me out, no furry friends :-)
  4. horsy Well-Known Member

How to speak dog is good. Also the other end of the leash by Patricia McConnell, has a bit of everything. Its about why we behave how we do towards dogs, and why they sometimes react the way they do.
  5. Ina Well-Known Member

Thanks very much. Jean also reposted the full list - lot's and lot's to read in the near future :-)
  6. tx_cowgirl Honored Member

Also looooove the Calming Signals book and DVD by Turid Rugaas. They are amazing. Really help you a lot with what your dog tells you with his body language and how you can respond to him.
  7. Ina Well-Known Member

I have ordered 5 different books now .. can't wait for them to arrive ;-)
  8. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

Ina, which book did you ever like the best?

here is quickie lil video on doggie language, which i like:
    JazzyandVeronica and Dogster like this.
  9. JazzyandVeronica Experienced Member

I really like Brenda Aloff's : Canine Body Language: A photographic Guide to interpreting the Native Language of the domestic Dog.

What books did you order and how are they?

Also here is a link to part 1 in a series of youtube posts from Jean Donaldson on dog behavior which I think is pretty good:

And here is a part 1 of a 6 part series focused on fear: I really like Trish King as well.
    jackienmutts likes this.
  10. jackienmutts Honored Member

All the ones mentioned are great - and Jazzy, I agree, the Trish King and Jean Donaldson videos are excellent, I've watched them before.

Another good book I read last year that I liked was "Inside of a Dog, What Dogs See, Smell, and Know" byAlexandra Horowitz.
  11. tigerlily46514 Honored Member

Loved those videos, Jazzy, but, i wonder why Trish King thinks dogs do not have a cerebral cortex? wha?O_o (and since i'm being pedantic,:rolleyes: there are also fish brains, and insect brains, not just the three types of brains she listed. Bird brains are probably super similar to the reptilian brains.)

still i love love love this topic!
    bekah1001 likes this.