Trying To Love My Husband's Black Lab

nora

Having been raised with poodles, cock-a-poos and other small fuzzy dogs, my husband's black lab a a rather foreign, drooling, creature. But, he's a great companion dog and is pretty sure that every other animal and person on earth is in love with him:).

nora

He is, but no one is allowed to tell him I said that. The pics are in my husband's cell phone. I will try to get him to send them along and then post them.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Hi and welcome. Your lab sounds like most labs(loves everyone). Both of my dogs are lab mixes so I love the breed. You say trying to love your husbands black lab, do you not like him? Maybe you could start trick training with him or a sport such as dock diving so that you can enjoy him and create a bond.

MaryK

Honored Member
Welcome! Southerngirl is right, Labs adore everyone and everything that comes their way:D

I too adore them.

What exactly is it you don't like about your husbands Lab? Is it just that he's different from the dogs you've been used too? He's still a dog, loving, caring and with a Lab very friendly:love:

Southerngirl is right, start to work with him, trick training etc.

Looking forward to the pics:)

nora

Welcome! Southerngirl is right, Labs adore everyone and everything that comes their way:D

I too adore them.

What exactly is it you don't like about your husbands Lab? Is it just that he's different from the dogs you've been used too? He's still a dog, loving, caring and with a Lab very friendly:love:

Southerngirl is right, start to work with him, trick training etc.

Looking forward to the pics:)
:-) I greatly appreciate our lab, but he is quite a different animal than the toy poodles I grew up with! Poodles don't drool or shed. And they don't park themselves in the middle of the way because they are small enough to watch for feet.
On the flip side, Zorro is my husband's companion dog, and he is perfect for the job. The breeder raises and trains labs for both hunting and for companion dogs. (I met the couple when they attended a web development class I taught.) My husband is a disabled vet. I am Zorro's secondary caregiver. And, I hate to admit it, but I do have a leash, dog bowl and treats for him in my car. For some strange reason, he thinks that I am a treat machine. Well, I do, um, share with him. And, I learned not to buy those handy retractable leashes because he ate the last one.
My husband says he is a cartoon dog come to life. Those two are quite a pair.

MaryK

Honored Member
LOL does sound though like you're well on the way to loving Zorro:D Labs aren't the only ones who park themselves in the way, or drool or shed, both my dogs are great 'parkers' I'm nifty on stepping over them, but only Ra Kismet drools he can really waterboard your hand when you give him treats:D Neither shed too much, the cats especially one, shed far more:eek::D

LOL he's fine if he thinks you're a treat machine normal dogs behavior:D Dogs can really turn of the 'charm offensive' when it comes to treats:D

Zorro would be well trained as he's a care dog, so that's one up in his favor, nothing like a totally untrained exuberant Lab believe me, a friend has one!

LOL Zorro sounds delightful and I am sure you're getting to appreciate his good personality and character, despite LOL the drooling and shedding.:D The way things sound, Zorro will soon be thinking of you as his first care giver, not the secondary one!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Omg, I love your pic!! I have a friend with 2 Newfs - so I know how that is!!! :ROFLMAO: Yep - hairy, drooly, lovable ... and yes, lap dog wannabe's (or well, in your case ... just lap dogs :LOL: :ROFLMAO: ).

Yes, Zorro is def different than a poodle or poodle-type -- they're not small and dainty, but Labs are such loves. Yes, they're big, and they drool, and they shed, and they tend to get in your way, and sit on your feet, and have loads of energy and love to eat and .... ok, so what's not to love??? :love::LOL: I do love me a big ol' Lab!!! :love:

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
I wanna cuddle him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL::love: The dog of course:LOL:
Ha, ha! Diesel is definitely very fun to cuddle too! ;)

Omg, I love your pic!! I have a friend with 2 Newfs - so I know how that is!!! :ROFLMAO: Yep - hairy, drooly, lovable ... and yes, lap dog wannabe's (or well, in your case ... just lap dogs :LOL: :ROFLMAO: ).

Yeah, allowing the big hairy dogs on the couch- not necessarily one of my brighter moves!
Ah well, it's only laundry... and vacuuming:rolleyes: