Trophy Shaping 4-in-a-box

lexio2

ok, hope this works as the preview isn't working for me. Just started training seriously (I have a schedule and everything!!!) again after a long hiatus. This is my second mini session with Trophy. End goal is to have all four feet in the box. First session, he would just put one or two front feet in the box. In this session i'm clicking for back feet in the box and jackpot for 3 feet in the box.

This is my favorite game to start shaping behaviors. The dogs think it's fun, and they can do no wrong!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Great work. I tell you what I loved most, is that you talked to your dog throughout, with 'try again'. I see so many clicker-trainers who practically freeze themselves like concrete and daren't make a sound for fear of giving the wrong cue. I feel quite sad watching such sessions.

I look forward to seeing (and hearing) your future training sessions! Well done. :)

lexio2

Thanks! Shaping can be weird to start, i probably froze up when i did my first exercises with it, but the more you do the more you learn. I don't watch my dogs, i stare at the box - which they pick up on. And giving the "try again" - which i use for practically all training builds their confidence :)

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I shape every day and we keep our sessions vocal, upbeat, and fun, fun, fun, and well, if Ellie is a slower learner as a result, then I can't wait to get a fast-learner! :)

I'm still maintaining my campaign for noisier and more upbeat training sessions. I think I only managed to get tx_cowgirl signed up so far, and I might even have imagined that one in my sleep! :)

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I too always talk to my dog during our training sessions. :)
In fact, I talk to her all the time! :D
When I'm preparing for an exam, she is my best partner for learning Chemistry, Geography, Biology, History, etc. :D
I always tell her what happened tome while I wasn't with her (rare occasions... just school). :)

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Ah, maybe it was you and not tx_cowgirl then. I knew there was one other campaign member! :)

For what it's worth, I tell Ellie all sorts too!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
LOL well I do have some interesting conversations with my puppers...but as far as training...

"Almost!"..."That's close!"..."GOOD GIRL/BOY!!!"...and others, lol. I think without encouragement Zekers would give up entirely. Mudflap on the other hand just wants to learn.

Nice vid Lexio!