Tricks Mini Demo - Ideas?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
LOL, loooove the ghost trick, definitely stealing that one. ^^ Think it's a GREAT challenge idea!! Love it!! At one time I wanted to teach Mud a bunch of "pretend" tricks---"BEAR"-stand on hind legs, paws up, show teeth, but the show teeth part has me stumped, "PENGUIN"--beg position and 'waddle;' Silvia Trkman has a video of this somewhere, "BUNNY"--bunny hop, and various others. So many trick ideas, so little time. Ghost has been added to the list now. xD

Lol, if Ollie loves training as much as Mud does I'm sure he'll love all the work he's going to have to do.

Okay, Samantha, Sammie, whichever you prefer. I respond to anything, most people here do call me "TX" but my name is Kryst'n. It's on my "Meet Our Team" post, but it never really caught on, haha!! Either way, I don't mind. ^^

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
\
Going in reverse to the questions you asked me...
- typing between posts is quite easy to read actually
- For Ro "touch" = nose "touch/use paw" = paw
* I will definetly skip out on reading BED for now then - wasn't considering the prop part so much as what were his best commands and also his size factor when I was choosing reading behaviors for him (hence TOUCH being one of the first ones he learned). And I guess if props are out I can't do PAWS UP either yet ...
* I will try to tape and post the biggggg giant demo (provided I get through all the commands needed to do it successfully) tho it won't be for 8 weeks....... which might as well be xmas or my birthday or a nice international vacation ;) lol.
* Totally going to try your ghost method after work this evening -- will let you know how it goes
* Ro is good at the whole target the lid thing since I used it for contact practice and such........ So I'll try what you and Tx said aboutusing that for him to try waving on and the other methods .. and will post what I get out of him tonight.

-and in a total off topic moment - how on earth did you get multiple quotes in one msg??? - i'm sure i could figure it out better with some coffee in my system.........

TX -- you can totally call me Sammie , or Samantha instead of reveuse if you wanna.......
I will copy your reverse method! The multiple quotes I put in by hand. After clicking on the reply button I went through and deleted things I was not going to post a response to and seperated the rest into various sections. Then I copyed and pasted the beginning quote thingy...[quote="reveuse, etc] and put it in front of all the sub sections I wanted to respond to and then I copied the [quote/] and put it at the end of every statement. Then I went back and typed out my responses. There may be an easier way but I have not discovered it yet.

I can't wait to hear how your 'wave' and your 'ghost' practices go!

...and I REALLY CAN'T WAIT to see your next DEMO! I think I will be just as excited waiting for Christmas as you! LOL! ...and I will really enjoy my Christmas Present (your taped Demo!) ;)

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
LOL, loooove the ghost trick, definitely stealing that one. ^^ Think it's a GREAT challenge idea!! Love it!! At one time I wanted to teach Mud a bunch of "pretend" tricks---"BEAR"-stand on hind legs, paws up, show teeth, but the show teeth part has me stumped, "PENGUIN"--beg position and 'waddle;' Silvia Trkman has a video of this somewhere, "BUNNY"--bunny hop, and various others. So many trick ideas, so little time. Ghost has been added to the list now. xD
Awesome! Teaching River various animals is on my to do list!
So far we have shark (snaping), snake (form of crawl), lizzard (stick out toungue/ it reminded me of a lizard) praire dog/squirel or maybe bear (beg). I love that penguin! I'm not sure about the bunny I try not to do too much jumping with a golden. (Victor does a froggy command something he did naturally) but I don't know if River would be comfortable doing it.

I need to get an animal encyclopedia and go through and see which I could possibly make into a dog trick!

Such FUN!!!!!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member

Lol, if Ollie loves training as much as Mud does I'm sure he'll love all the work he's going to have to do. :dogbiggrin:

Okay, Samantha, Sammie, whichever you prefer. I respond to anything, most people here do call me "TX" but my name is Kryst'n. It's on my "Meet Our Team" post, but it never really caught on, haha!! Either way, I don't mind. ^^
I found it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOiZLcdxExk

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol, Silvia is the best. ^^ Yeah I'd like to have a whole repetoire of "wannabe tricks," just gotta think of some more...and then actually teach them, haha!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
\ The multiple quotes I put in by hand. After clicking on the reply button I went through and deleted things I was not going to post a response to and seperated the rest into various sections. Then I copyed and pasted the beginning quote thingy...[quote="reveuse, etc] and put it in front of all the sub sections I wanted to respond to and then I copied the [quote/] and put it at the end of every statement. Then I went back and typed out my responses. There may be an easier way but I have not discovered it yet.
;)
I just realized that I put in the quote brackets, in my how I put extra quotes in message, and obviously that would create a quotation...so I went back and eddited it to make it not put in a quote. Duhhh!!!!
I guess I needed coffee too...except I don't drink coffee!

reveuse

LOL, loooove the ghost trick, definitely stealing that one. ^^ Think it's a GREAT challenge idea!! Love it!! At one time I wanted to teach Mud a bunch of "pretend" tricks---"BEAR"-stand on hind legs, paws up, show teeth, but the show teeth part has me stumped, "PENGUIN"--beg position and 'waddle;' Silvia Trkman has a video of this somewhere, "BUNNY"--bunny hop, and various others. So many trick ideas, so little time. Ghost has been added to the list now.
I've got "squirrel" and started the other day on "shark " a very jawsy treat snatch since he was going mental over his new cookies and couldnt get his manners together... *steals other animals to add to list*

reveuse

Ok soooooooooooooooo we've had an awesome near hour! (oops!) of training time....... Worked a bit on the EASY button (he keeps trying to lay down with it which i dont want (because then he gets stuck there (like he only will sneeze laying down for the moment but he is still learning it )....

Also worked on adding some time/distance to "squirrel" - got an extra quarter of a second and about the same in distance...= a bit of progress :)

We wound up starting marching (he was good at using his right paw but slow to lift up the left..) and the somehow out of nowhere he just Offered "shy" to me .... BUT in my overly shocked state of mind i accidentally named the behavior hide... (which i've been trying to teach him as something similar to ostrich (where he literally hides his head under is paw and stays that way leaning a bit onto his side)...... wondering if I have a shot at renaming his paw swipe he learned tonight to shy or if i should just let it go and be what it is............ and in some rare turn of events he has completely mastered it........ no distance , cookie , location, issues whatsoever AND i have it on hand signal too ......heheehehe HAPPY DANCE........

also the ghost thing is a lot harder than it sounds...... he is quite happy to sit under the blankie with his nose peeping out but getting him to go under there on his own is a bit of a challenge.....

CANT WAIT TIL TOMORROW - i only have half a day of work soooooo tons of training time!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Ah! Another--instead of dig being just "dig," it could be GOPHER.

Lol, yup, looks like "HIDE" is going to be your shy. Does he respond best to hand signals or verbal cues? If it's hand signals you could very easily change the verbal cue--just start using a different verbal cue with the original hand signal. If he is more dependent on verbal cues, it's early enough to abandon the verbal cue altogether for now and just perfect it with the hand signal. Then eventually tack on a new verbal cue. The trick you are wanting to be HIDE might be a little tough later on, if he still remembers it since he only just learned it today. Might wait a long while to teach hide.

reveuse

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh GOPHER! (I dont have a dig command yet so *steals*)

Apparently Ro had no trouble changing to shy...10 min of cookies and we are good..I guess it sounds enough alike too...... yay Ro! --- and yes you are absolutely right - not going to go back and finish teaching the ostrich style hide for a while - (like summer or something lol)

reveuse

oh *EDIT*

I forgot we also worked on the telephone answering last night........... just the first step of him touching the phone......
he did great - touches it regardless of where i put it............. picking it up is going to be the annoying part for this trick tho...