Tricks/Commands for age groups

jtsummie

Does anyone know of a list (or maybe can tell me) of which commands or tricks are good for different age groups of dogs. My wife and I are rescuing a pit mix that is 5 months old. Naturally we will start with sit, lay down, and stay; but what is a good sequence to move onto after that?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I don't really base it on age, but rather level of training and physical ability.

So, just for instance I'd say:

Sit, down, stay
Pivoting, rear leg awareness tricks
Paw targetting(leading to shake, wave, high-five, cross paws, and millions of other tricks)
Spins

The best advice I can give you is to watch Fickla's vids in order--the ones of her Toller pup Vito. This is a great pattern to follow.

Don't get too wrapped up in her age. The sky is the limit with what your pup can learn--just keep in mind what she can physically do. For instance, teaching a handstand could be harmful to her bones until she's fully developed. But don't hesitate to teach the beginning steps of the handstand.

Good luck and congrats on the new pup!

jtsummie

tx_cowgirl;17637 said:
Don't get too wrapped up in her age. The sky is the limit with what your pup can learn--just keep in mind what she can physically do. For instance, teaching a handstand could be harmful to her bones until she's fully developed. But don't hesitate to teach the beginning steps of the handstand.

Good luck and congrats on the new pup!
That's what I figured I just really didn't want really know where to go after, sit stay, down etc ..

Thanks

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Also I would recommend working on advancing the basics after she's got them down. For instance, have her in a sit stay, move a foot or two away and get her to move to a down, back to a sit, etc without moving closer to you. Hold a stay while another dog is milling about or a tennis ball is thrown. Give the "come" command but have another dog or person off to the side halfway between you and her so she has to pass them to come to you.

But definitely check out Fickla's vids. :) Good luck with the new pup!

fickla

Experienced Member
Thanks for the compliments tx :)

But yes Vito's videos are more of a progression of tricks, especially starting to work on body awareness. So if you want to do a ton of tricks, you could easily follow what I did with him! (the vids are in the video section of the forum or YouTube - fickla01's Channel

What I don't show in my videos is most of the progression I've done for his obedience work. There are the 3 D's (duration, distance, and distraction) I generally work on for stays, walking, and come. A class could be great to help you with this work, even if you get the down the basics on your own it's hard to do distraction work without help.

The 2 cues I find the most helpful once I start working on distractions are having a really good "leave it" and "Watch me."

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
CONGRADULATIONS on a RESCUE DOG!! yay!! wONDERFUL!!

I think "COME" is The most important trick of all. I do. could save your dog someday. I practice it most every day with Buddy, advancing along to more and more distractions.

I think "Look at me", although not impressive to your friends, is also good trick, comes in handy.
Those are the first tricks i'd teach. Also, i'm glad i spent some time, with Buddy on leash for every potty, to show him where I want him to 'go' in the yard. Really glad i did that.

Oh, another good thing for all dogs to learn, i think, is they can not get into the car til you say so, nor can they get out of the car til you say so. ..Picture a flat on the toll road...

Same with the front door. No running out til you say so. That one is not so easy. You need a lil team of door-knocking pals to help with that one...
Ha, i must be in safety mode tonight!!:msngiggle:

sarhaspups

I second that tigerlily... safety training with a new puppy should be priority. All of those things will / can save your dog some day!

montsterdog

One thing that came to my mind is to teach your puppy to retrieve. Playing fetch is good exercise and then you also have one more way of rewarding your puppy since most dogs seem to find it rewarding. :)